Operating System - OpenVMS
1752735 Members
5529 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question regarding authorization for a specific task?

johnslayton1
Advisor

Question regarding authorization for a specific task?

Hello all,

OK, we use OpenVMS 7.1-2 on an Alpha server and we use the COGNOS POWERHOUSE SYSTEM as out application that runs under VMS.

This program has a menu specific options such as cancelling orders, entering orders and such..

I two users that need to be authorized to CANCEL orders but they cannot do that.

DO you all know how to create a command to let these users to be able to cancel orders?

And my other questions is, does this have to do with the POWERHOUSE SYSTEM APPLICATION itself or does it have to do with VMS??

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] does this have to do with the
> POWERHOUSE SYSTEM APPLICATION itself or
> does it have to do with VMS??

Hint 1: Who tells the user that he can't do
it, POWERHOUSE or VMS?

Hint 2: Order cancellation is not a
fundamental operation on a VMS system.

When you buy POWERHOUSE, do you get a manual?
johnslayton1
Advisor

OK,

Hope this helps.

Users, when they first logon to VMS they automatically go to a CAPTIVE MODE which drops a menu option down.

Now, when a customer requests to cancel their orders, users then go that option screen and when they try cancelling, they get a message like this:

UNABLE TO CANCEL OR AMMEND ORDER.

SO this must be done or actioned by POWERHOUSE itself and not VMS.

I have a PDF manual of the Cognos Powerhouse system as well. SHould I look into that as your telling me that this has NOTHING to do with OpenVMS??

Thanks.
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi johnslayton1

I think, that this is no OpenVMS issue.
It may be controlled by the application itself, by checking identifiers, privileges or the application may have a own database with user rights.

In your profile we can see
"I have assigned points to 0 of 46 responses to my questions."

It would be very motivating for all the contributors, who helped you with their answers, when you could find the time to assign points as described in http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#34
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] CAPTIVE MODE which drops a menu
> option down.

And what does the captive menu program do?

> [...] this has NOTHING to do with OpenVMS??

Nothing or almost nothing, I'd guess. Of
course, we don't really know who does what
here, or exactly what happens which leads to
the failure message, or who puts out that
message, but none of it looks like VMS
itself.

By the way, who can't spell "amend"?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

John,

As a starting point, I would recommend the manuals for POWERHOUSE as a starting point. However, without knowledge of your application and your installation, that is only an informed guess.

The actual implementation of the "authorization" for application functions could be implemented using OpenVMS features (e.g., identifiers) or a private application database, or some combination of the above. The details need to be researched.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

John,

from my (very old) memories of Powerhouse (ca 1985!) I seem to remember that way back when PH used to do its own autorisations. That may be an indication, but 20+ years IS a long time, for things to change and for memories to become fuzzy.

I would look for application documentation, and not be surprised if at various (this?) issues it points to the PH docs.

But I agree with Steven: That message does not in the least look like a VMS message!

hth

PS. _DO_ follow Geni's advise on assigning!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.