New Discussion юеВ

Queue Manager problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Queue Manager problem

VAX 4100, VMS v6.2.

I was reviewing my nightly disk to disk backup log for this system and saw this:

%BACKUP-E-OPENIN, error opening $40$DIA5:[]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL_OLD;1 as input
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file

I checked for a current file, and found that it was created yesterday morning. I went through the OPERATOR.LOG file and found no mention of this occuring, and no phone calls came yesterday with any kind of queue issue - this system does alot of batch processing and printing. The QUEUE_MANAGER process's uptime matches system uptime (~60 days) ie. the process didn't crash/restart.

Why would it do this? Where else can I look to see this event?

Cheers,
Art
4 REPLIES 4
Ken Robinson
Valued Contributor

Re: Queue Manager problem

The clue here is the lack of a directory between the brackets "[]".

This usually indicates a left over file marked for deletetion or other such inaccessible file.

I would check if the disk needs rebuilding
$ sho dev d/reb

and then I would do a
$ ana/disk/norepai

$ ana/disk/repa ! if needed

Ken
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Art,

QUEUE_MANAGER will temporarily rename the .QMAN$JOURNAL file to .QMAN$JOURNAL_OLD while checkpointing, i.e. while writing the in-memory data to a new .QMAN$JOURNAL file.

Once the checkpointing operation is complete, the .QMAN$JOURNAL_OLD file is automatically deleted.

This is expected behaviour. Your BACKUP seems to just have hit that directory, while checkpointing was active.

Volker.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

I understand that, but my question is more, why did this happen? What would cause it to seemingly "remove" the previous journal file and create a new one? Where can I see it having done this?

Art
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Thanks Volker, your reply slipped in before my reply to Ken.

Ok, I'll see what the log says tomorrow.

Cheers,
Art