Operating System - OpenVMS
1748241 Members
3775 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Queue manager not starting on boot (VAX, VMS 7.1)

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Hakan: Standalone.
Volker: The disk from which we booted was created from an image backup of the original system's systemdisk. As stated, we later found that SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL was missing in that saveset. I do not recall the file existed after boot - I doubt it, or it should have been re-created.
Jess/Hoff: My guess is that this software requires the queue manager to run. It's of no use if it fails; and that's what happened...

One thing that I learned later: to do an ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR after having restored the system disk from a backup. It seems to be documented ;)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Willem,

In your initial post you said:
"$ START/QUEUE/MANAGER/NEW did re-create a new environment, but I would have to re-define all forms and re-create all queues."

My post was in response to this. You can use QUEUE_MANAGER_SAVE.COM to save off queues, forms, characteristics, and batch job so that you can repopulate them after START/QUEUE/MANAGER/NEW.
I have one, but it's personal.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Jess,
don't forget to post the latest versions to dcl.openvms.org

Having a record of the whole queue infrastructure, including scheduled jobs, is always advisable.
One remark though: Have this information stored off the node. If your fail-over system wouldn't have these files, you're having the same trouble.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager