Operating System - OpenVMS
1752821 Members
4407 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Queue-specific UCX$TELNETSYM logical names?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Queue-specific UCX$TELNETSYM logical names?

Hi,

I've been trying to solve a printing problem on UCX 4.2 (yes, old) and believe I have done so by defining the UCX$TELNETSYM_RAW_TCP logical name.

I was wondering if this logical, and the other UCX$TELNETSYM_xxx logical names, can be defined to be queue-specific in some way? For example, UCX$TELNETSYM_queuename_xxx. However I've not been able to find this in the documentation.

Hoff has written in "Ask the Wizard" and in his blogs that the usual trick is to define the required logical name(s), start the queues for which the logicals are desired, then deassign the logical name(s) before starting the rest of the queues.

Can someone please confirm that Hoff's solution is the only way to get queue-specific behaviour for UCX$TELNETSYM_xxx logical names?

Thanks,
Jeremy Begg
4 REPLIES 4
labadie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

If memory serves me, this logical can not be queue-specific.

I wonder if the logical is translated once or not.

May be you can stop a queue, define this logical to a specific value, start the queue.

Yes, this is ugly.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Jeremy,

I asked Matt Muggeridge this question at the last VMS bootcamp, and he said he wasn't aware of any queue specific logical names. I ask him to put it on his list of requested enhancements. So it was not in TCPIP 5.6 (or even the development version of 5.7 at the time). In other words, I think it is safe to assume that UCX 4.2 did not have queue specific logical names. Try using Hein's "strings" program to see what logical names are hiding in the .EXE files. To get STRINGS.MAR see http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/875 (attachment has example)

I just happen to have a ucx$telnetsym.exe_old that appears to be from 4.2, and it does not have any strings that appear to be for queue specific logical names. Note the string %sUCX$TELNETSYM_%s.LOG that is used to create the file specifications for the queue specific log files.

In 7.3-2 you can use the SDA LNM extension to trace logical name translations, and you can see that no queue specific logical names are tried. But in VMS 6.2 (or whatever version UCX 4.2 runs with), I am not sure that the LNM extension existed.

I agree that the current implementation is too limiting, and the workaround doesn't work well, especially when using autostart queues across nodes, as in /AUTOSTART_ON=(SIGMA::"172.30.205.203:9100",OMEGA::"172.30.205.203:9100")

See attachment for more details (shows output from strings program and SDA LNM trace)

Jon
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

The last attachment was missing the output from SDA LNM trace removed.

Attached is the missing info
it depends
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

I think I'll close this as the answers so far are in full agreement with each other and my expectations.

Thanks,
Jeremy Begg