108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quotas of Samba process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Quotas of Samba process

I installed Samba and after some modification it's works almost fine.
The main limitation, at moment, is server too slow. I compared Advanced Server and Samba and discovered some quota differences.
For example, Advanced Server daemon run with buffered and direct I/O set to 32767.
It tryed run Samba daemon with same quotas but I can't do it.
The samba script is:
$ run/detached -
/input=samba_exe:nmbd_startup.com -
/output=samba_root:[var]nmbd_startup.log -
/uic=system
/process_name=NMBD -
sys$system:loginout.exe
In this case, NMBD use PQL_D* values.
If I add /authorize, process use value in SYSAUF.
So I have to select among some solution, but I'm not about best praticse.
I'm intrigued by your ideas.

TIA
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
22 REPLIES 22
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Antonio,
Just a warning, if /AUTHORIZE is specified then /UIC is ignored.
FWIW.
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Chris,
I start samba with SYSTEM accont, so it's no problem. However, I didn't remember this limitation.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I like to specify the quotas on the command line
RUN/AST_LIMIT=quota/BUFFER_LIMIT=quota
etc
/AUTHORIZE says use the quotas from the username (the process owner i.e. you)

Ian,
let me to be more specific.
I modified run command with /io_dir=/io_buf and other values but this didn't work.
Looked more carefully at code and saw inside nmbd_startup there is another run.
This is the code:
$ nmbd :== $samba_root:[bin]nmbd
$ opt = f$trnlnm("SAMBA_NMBD_OPTIONS")
$ nmbd "-d1" 'opt'
How you can see, nmbd receive some qualifier so i can't use run with usually qualifiers.
Again I can't give a value greater than my account (if /authorize). I want give DIO=32767 but I don't want modify SYSTEM account with this value.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

do you really believe that running NMBD with /IO_BUFFER or /IO_DIRECT=32767 will do any good ???

These quotas limit the number of CURRENTLY OUTSTANDING buffered or direct IOs for the process.

If NMBD would run against any of those limits, it will enter the MWAIT or MUTEX state. You could also have a look at the remaining BUFIO or DIRIO quota at any time using SHOW PROC/QUOTA/ID=. If those numbers get near ZERO, then that would need to get you worried...

Volker.
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

Samba uses one process per client connection so I don't think you need high quotas the way you do for a multi-threaded daemon. The NMBD process is lanman browser function and isn't in the critical path. The advanced server uses special file system features to speed up access, I don't know if they are available for the Samba port.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

The first run ($ run/detached...) creates a process where quotas are set, the second run ($ nmbd "-d1" 'opt') runs an image which takes quotas from the owner process.

Bojan
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Volker,
BIO and DIO limit are just an example. I'm comparing pathwork server and samba daemon. For both values, Pathwork set value = 32767. You are right, these worth may be dangerous! However I need to supply big values for some quotas.

David,
thank you for your precious information. This difference can help me to understan why server runs slow.

Bojan,
I know it. Question is: how can I supply big quotas?

Just for your knowlege, setting prio=13 makes server more quicker but not enough for good use.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

David is right. NMBD is lanman browser. The real work is made by the service SMBD which is defined in TCPIP.
The process changes the owner to its VMS user. I dont know how is this done (a quick look to the sources was not succesful ;)

Bojan