Quotas of Samba process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Quotas of Samba process

Antonio,

The main limitation, at moment, is server too slow

Just arbitrarily changing process quotas would not make anything faster, if the process does not even deplete those quotas during operations.

I've played with SAMBA V2.2.8 recently and the file copy performance was acceptable when compared with FTP. Directory lookup and browsing large directories is another story...

Could you elaborate which operation you found to be 'too slow' ?

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Volker,
I'm playing with Samba 2.2.8 too and comparing with Advanced Server.
You are right about file copy but browsing, navigation and first open of share are not acceptable.
I'm also trying working office application (like word or excel) directly into shared directory.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

there are 2 mechanisms in SAMBA, which cause a performance penalty when handling/browsing/opening large directories:

- when accessing a file in any directory for the first time, SAMBA will fill it's directory cache, building a simple list of all file names within this directory. This list is used to later speed up wildcard accesses in that directory. Depending on the no. of files in the directory, building the file name list can take a while.

- when browsing a directory, SAMBA also fills it's stat (file) cache. As a Windows directory entry expects information like file access dates, file size etc. in addition to just the file name, this information needs to be obtained from the individual file headers in OpenVMS - again a somewhat IO intensive operation under OpenVMS.

Once the stat (file) cache is filled, things are getting a little better. But there are 2 problems with SAMBA V2.2.8 here:

* the stat cache handling of the directory tree is broken. This will cause the same file to be entered twice in different directories cache entries (once with /000000 included and once without). This causes the stat cache to not become effective starting the 3rd access to the directory. This is fixed in SAMBA V2.2.12.

* the no. of entries in the stat cache is limited to 16k files per directory. Once your directory grows beyond that no. of files, things get worse...

If you can keep the directory size small, SAMBA works quite well.

Volker.
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

When you get it all done, it would be nice to see/hear a detailed how to. There isn't much info on SAMBA on VMS, and the only things that I have heard are a) that it is tricky to get going, and b) there hasn't been a new release for some time.

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Volker,
your explanation is clear. I have to modify source of Samba to solve. You refer to V2.2.12 but I don't find that version of Samba on VMS. Where can I find it?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

I had received V2.2.12 from HP directly for a certain project. It seems to have once been made available by John M.

http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~malmberg/samba/

but it's not there anymore. Maybe you can ask John...

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Volker,
I write to John M. because I'm pleased to participate on development of new version of Samba.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I expect somewhere in hp someone is working on Samba V3 on VMS. Parhaps John knows more.

Ian,
me too.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ian,
off topic ...
I'm pleased to add some your link on new Italian OpenVMS comunity in section Friends of VMS.
If you like it send me
antoniov (at) shs-av.it
your favorite link

Antonio
Antonio Maria Vigliotti