6199 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAB on VAX and Alpha

Vir Thanvi
Advisor

Hi Guys,

You all have been waiting to see the error and so am I. Actually all the STATUS and IOSTATUS are coming out to be fine, at-least by programming point of view. What I mean here is that after reading and connecting and GET calls of RAB and FAB, the STATUS are coming out to be permissible by FORTRAN as it does not enter any error statements I put in the code.

The problem I am facing is that the record being extracted from the data file is not the correct one on Alpha machine. Yesterday I did step by step debugging on VAX and Alpha and observed that almost all values like record number and other attributes turn out to be same but the record being accessed are different.

I modified the attributes of file copied to Alpha to be identical as one on VAX except that I was not able to change ALLOCATED blocks on Alpha. On VAX I have 368640/368640 but on Alpha I have 368640/368667.

I will post more facts and observed numbers later today as I do more testing.

Just FYI, the copying of FDL file and conversion of data file did not work. Hein already clarified the reason. The cluster size on Alpha machine is coming out to be 137, this might be something to look into.

Later today I will try to access the file on VAX from the code running on Alpha and keep you all posted on the happenings.

Thanks to you all for your time, help and support.

Best Regards,
Vir
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Vir,
just for give some clue ...
STS=65537
It's apparently successfull code but when I saw it in my code there was some light trouble.
I'm not sure this status is fine.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

I64VMS $ sea sys$library:starlet.req 65537,rms/match=and
literal RMS$_SUC = 65537;
literal RMS$_NORMAL = 65537;

This is the RMS success status.

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Volker,
I know 65537 should be success but in my experience on alpha this code was a warning.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Vir Thanvi
Advisor

Hello All,

I have no additional info to post today as we lost power at our work-place for the entire day. I did not get a chance to run any tests like accessing the file directly from VAX using Alpha code.

Someone here at work suggested to try reverse compatibility. This means that create the same file on Alpha and try to run it on VAX. I am thinking of giving that a shot too later today.

The number 65537 was observed on both VAX and Alpha, so I really did not pay too much attention to that, but in the discussion, it appears like it can mean different things on I64 and Alpha. This prompts me to search on VAX and Alpha system libraries to find out if it means different on both or is it the same.

Please stay tuned for more analysis info as input from all of you is becoming very crucial. Can someone please post a note about how can I obtain support from HP over this topic. This is the first time ever I have ran into this type of problem.

Thanks to all who are being such a big help.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Vir,
I compared all values of RAB/FAB structures with my c code of indexed files. No any strange value I observed. Some field are pointer to other structure, so they numeric value are not important.
Just I understand your file has primary key of 4 bytes.
I looked at my old documentation and I confirm about 65537 status. This is a successfull code but I met it when rms routine could not get all information about file; this may happen when you open file throught network or something like that. I know at now it's not important.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Vir Thanvi
Advisor

I just tries the reverse compatibility and surprisingly it worked. I created a relative file on Alpha and copied it to VAX. I accessed the same file without any problem.

But if I create a file on VAX and copy it to Alpha and try to access it, I am still not being able to do that.

Antonio, I think you are trying with Indexed file but mine is relative. Second, my binary file had no record greater than INTEGER*4 or REAL*8. I will double check and repost a note, if I find anything else.

Thanks to all who are devoting precious time to help me out.

Best Regards,
Vir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Vir,

if you create a file on Alpha and try to access it on Alpha, does it work ?

Volker.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Vir wrote . . .

Can someone please post a note about how can I obtain support from HP over this topic.

Your site will need to have a current software support agreement with HP. Do you know if your site has such an agreement?

-- Rob
Vir Thanvi
Advisor

If I create a file on Alpha and access it on Alpha, it works fine.

I am not sure if my site has software support agreement with HP or not? I will inquire about that.

More info to add: I dumped the data on VAX and Alpha simultaneously and both seem to be reading identical blocks, but very strange thing happened. I was in loop to read data from the file with DO I=1,4. At each step I examined DATA(I). Initially when I examined DATA(2), it was all zeros (0). Then I examined DATA(3), it was filled up and then I re-examined DATA(2) and that had some values in it now. DATA(2) and DATA(3) looked the same on VAX and Alpha. Is it some timing issue, just wondering?

Best Regards,
Vir