1753523 Members
12120 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDB HOT STANDBY

SAMI AHMAD
Regular Advisor

RDB HOT STANDBY

can anyone point me to the RDB HOT STANDBY SETUP document ?

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Sami,

Not sure what you mean? Rdb works across a cluster, so why would you bother with any kind of "Standby" system, hot, warm or cold?

Configure your cluster as active-active, running everything everywhere and you don't need anything to be standby.
A crucible of informative mistakes
SAMI AHMAD
Regular Advisor

isnt a seperate license required for cluster ?
if we setup a cluster will the RDB database be common and what if the database goes down ?
SAMI AHMAD
Regular Advisor

also can we setup cluster of nodes with just tcpip connection or do we need special hardware ?
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Ah John, that's music to my ears and never before have we been so as one on any issue!

Sadly we are in the minority and one of VMS's greatest strengths and market differentiators is cast before those who don't know pearls :-(

Sami, if you go to JCC.COM and subscribe to their listserver you will find many like-minded individuals and Rdb engineers who will fall over themselves to pander to your every Hot-Standby whim. After all it's Hot-Standby that provides token DR for that single-node performance "solution" Row-Cache.

As Row-Ca$h is Norm's baby and he and the other "engineers who never leave" are free to do whatever they like with Rdb, are not interested in cluster solutions then you might as well go for it. (Or move to a database that values distributed database solutions like RAC and Cache-Fusion!)

Why did Rdb, VMS, and DEC go broke again?

Cheers Richard Maher

BTW Sami, how much data are you willing to lose? IOW how Warm/Hot do you expect your Hot Standby to be? Transactional? Ready for the performance hit?
SAMI AHMAD
Regular Advisor

I will set the hot backup in WARM mode.

regards
Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

There is plenty of Hot Standby documentation on the Oracle support site - some more recent than others. IF you read it all thoroughly, and plan out your implementation, it is pretty easy to set up and we have found it to perform exceptionally well. with no noticeable or measurable impact on our clustered production systems. We also set it up to run HOT with the option to drop down if necessary. Haven't really seen it do so.

Of course, it all depends on transaction volumes, WAN bandwidth, type of transactions, etc etc etc, so as they say in the classics...your mileage may vary.

Of those who have used the product, I have yet to hear a bad word.

Of course, you don't say why you want to set it up. In our case we use it for disaster recovery. IF we had more money to spend, we would have set up a distributed cluster across our two sites for disaster tolerance (which I think is what John is intimating). Maybe one day.