Where do we find a explaination for this error
7 REPLIES 7
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Re: RDB error message

Hi Barry,

Normally I'd say: -
$sea sys$help:*.doc bintoobug
but it doesn't find anything on my machine.

Have you got the command that triggered it?

I'm familiar with RDO and RMU facilities but not so sure about RDU.

Cheers Richard Maher
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Are you sure, ths is a RDB message?
The only mention of RDU in Oracle-metalink has to do with 'Oracle Human Resources' or 'Repository 6i'.

regards Kalle
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd guess that the RDU involved here is a component of TDMS, and not of Oracle Rdb.

Do I win the kwepie doll? :-)

Check the operation that's generating the error and the TDMS manuals.

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64lp/progtool/tdms020/tdms.htm

The appendix of two of the obvious manuals that are posted - they're images and thus not searchable and not in the Google index - don't list BINTOOBIG, which implies this is an error added later, or in one of the suffixes. I'll leave searching these manuals to you, or (if this is OpenVMS I64 or OpenVMS Alpha) you might ping HP and see if they have an updated error list somewhere.

Run some debug of whatever you're doing that is generating this, and sort it out. Or call up HP and ask what BINTOOBIG means. Or run a SEARCH of the system directories of the local disk and see if TDMS installs some documentation text files there.

If you need help rooting around through the application code here (and some degree of unfamiliarity with Rdb and TDMS could be inferred), contact HP or one of the usual suspects here.

Barry Streets

Hoff: yes you are correct - sorry for not being more clear. This is a TDMS request build error.

The TDMS request has been in production use and evolving for more than 20 years. Recently we added to it and we are now getting this message. We can tweak the number of characters we use in our changes and can see exactly when it gets "TOOBIG".

We've looked through the docs and can't find any reference to it. Mostly we wonder if it is configurable in some way so that the request can continue to grow or if we have hit a hard coded limit.

If anyone has experienced this we'd appreciate hearing about their experience.
Barry Streets

Not sure how to do this, but I need to change the subject to TDMS RDU-E-BINTOOBIG
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Did you try to increase quotas ? System parameters ? Autogen ? Fragmented disk ?

Versions and exact command given ?

Wim
Wim
Barry Streets

We have opened a support ticket with HP software support, and we are getting the information we needed. Thanks everyone for the responses.