1752280 Members
4414 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RECOVERED ERROR what is may be ?

Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Yes, the ROM is G.2A on that box, not G.2. May be this is a reason for errors, as you said.

About Seagate SCSI disks - I still dont know what the reason may be to lead that trouble.
Any ideas are welcome :)
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

'works' and 'supported' are not the same thing. Yes VMS V8.2 runs on that alpha but it is not supported. This mean it may mostly work but HP have not performed any testing.

I consider recovered errors to be a hint that its time to be looking for a replacement disk.
I know acquiring a replacement disk can be non-trivial sometimes, and that you have been seeking for some while a alpha system which is not quite so vintage.

In some cases a modification of the setup of the drive helps i.e. disable tagged queuing.
Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Yes you are right.
But in Tru64 for example "not supporting" means "cant boot anyway". I'm very happy to see OpenVMS can be booted as surprise without HP support even.

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

We have about 70 old AS500 stations with 1 RZ1BB disk. We get errors weekly (mostly during defrag).

Because they are no longer in a support contract, we **repair** the disks as follows.

Create dumb files with a loop until the disk is nearly full.
Do anal/dis/read for the whole disk. For the files on which you get parity error, you do "rename to .bad_blocks" and "set file/nomov". This way the bad block is frozen in an unused file.

Many stations have 1 bad block. Some have a few and the meximum is about 15. But none of the disks is getting really bad. 1 disk turned unreliable (giving the extended messages but no parity errors) and is taken out of production.

But we have the advantage that there is no unreplaceble data on it !

Fwiw

Wim
Wim