Operating System - OpenVMS
1752660 Members
5909 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: REMOVED::ANN: yahMAIL is dead - long live son of yahMAIL!

Mark Daniel_2
Frequent Advisor

REMOVED::ANN: yahMAIL is dead - long live son of yahMAIL!

My regrets that this is a long(ish) post.

I recently made an announcement of a new piece of VMS open-source software with the above subject. Later that day I received the following email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mark Daniel,

We appreciate that you are a registered user of the HP Support Forums, and see you have recently utilized the Support Forums service. However, your message 'ANN: yahMAIL is dead - long live son of yahMAIL!' had to be removed due to one or more of the following reasons.

1. You had requested the removal of your message.
2. The message was a duplicate posting.
3. The message contained advertising of goods or services.
4. The question was off-topic and did not align with the charter of the HP Support Forums.
5. Language, personal rants, or material deemed abusive, defamatory or obscene.
6. The posting contained private information on other users and/or HP employees.
7. Other reasons deemed necessary by the HP Support Forums staff.

We encourage you to share your technical knowledge and tap into the vast experience of other community members. All members will learn more when reading messages of technical value, whether they are new questions or replies.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
HP Support Forums Team
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I don't understand! There can't be so many ITRC postings removed that it only warrants a form-letter. How about a real explanation? This can only be an example of over-zealous ITRC police.

Looking at the reasons given in the email the only one that seemed as if it might apply was "3. The message contained advertising of goods or services." It certainly contained an announcment of goods but the description 'advertisement' to me implies marketing in pursuit of income. As this is open-source (and even though I detest the term) freeware, made available in an effort to provide useful and high-quality software NOT commercially viable in the VMS market-place. Are we (the ITRC users) to understand that we cannot use this forum to inform our peers of the availability of such?

(Typing into this pigeon hole is such a chore it's tempting to give up here and just close the window.)

I have also spent time re-reading the ITRC 'Terms of Use' and can find nothing to suggest that non-commercial announcements are not allowed.

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/help/lpTermAndCond.do

The closest it gets is "HP retains the right to remove messages that include an advertisement for sale".

Now, so many people have basically abandoned c.o.v. because of the low signal-to-noise ratio, and they have been encouraged to migrate to this closed and proprietory forum, that to not be able to provide such notification means that for many the knowlege of the availability of such could be greatly delayed.

How about a clarification and ruling on this issue. Can it be used for non-commercial announcements?
13 REPLIES 13
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Personally, I have no problems with information about new/upgraded 'freeware' for OpenVMS, as long as it is not too big. It may contain links to more and deeper infos.
Discussions about such freeware should be directed to specific forums.

regards Kalle
Alex  Daniels
Frequent Advisor

I think it's totally wrong to have removed that posting.

Mark has spent over a year of his own time creating a product and has then made it available to the VMS community for free.

I certainly would not have classed the original message as advertising goods or services, but instead an announcement, that is relevent to VMS sites.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mark,

as a (bitter) consolation: You are not the only one to have received such "Removed" messages.
And I also have been unable to ever get a more detailed justification.
Usually I choose a different wording and post again, and more often than not I is allowed to remain then.

But really, announcements like this ARE very valuable to a significant fraction of VMS users, and as such should NOT be removed! (unless clearly commercial of course, but for that you definitely do not qualify).

Then again, it IS a fine balance between what to allow and what to refuse. Your own description of c.o.v. demonstrates that.

Maybe you can try to enter the subject again, and than put clear emphasis on the NON-commerciality?

hth,

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Mark,

I would guess some automated content sniffer kicked out your post in a report and no individual capable of better content analysis than the machine ever got involved. I'm sure no one at HP or elsewhere who cares anything about software availability on VMS has any objection to hearing about your fine work.

There must be some way to tune your wording to get it past the censors, but with such a vague list of reasons given for the removal it's hard to say what that would be.

In any case, keep up the good work and keep announcing it in places where the right folks will see it, regardless of what the authorities think. You'll notice Ken Farmer picked it up and put it on openvms.org; it might be good to include him directly in future announcements.
Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

I just stumbled on this announcement by accident but since I'm an Yahmail user I'm curious as to what Mark had to say. I don't see a new version of Yahmail on the WASD site does that mean that there is a new package of FREEWARE/OPENSOURCE (please Mr. Man, don't censor my message!) software that will replace it. Am I correct?

thanks
Clark Powell
Alex  Daniels
Frequent Advisor

Yes there is a new OpenSource, not for profit, non-commerial, not for sale, non-advertising product, that is replacing yahmail.

It's called soyMAIL.

The uncensored announcment can be seen here...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/6787efceeee4020f/e594502ae3452334?q=soymail&rnum=1#e594502ae3452334
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Mark,

Sad but most forum members have read it.
Now we know how the Chinees must feel.

Wim
Wim
Mark Daniel_2
Frequent Advisor

Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

That posting certainly seems to be in the category of good and services being proferred. My goodness!!!
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!