108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user

SOLVED
Go to solution
Not applicable

RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user

Hi,

I am getting the above error while deleting one of the file.
No one else is using the system and I am not able to delete the file.
Can any one help me to know, how can I delete that file and how to know which process has locked this file.

Best Regards,
ajaydec
9 REPLIES 9
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

If you have privilege, and you aren't in a cluster, the easy way is to do show device/files and see if the file shows up. If you are in a cluster, you have to do this on each node. Or you can track down the locks, but I am not going to try and explain that.

If a file is installed, that could be a reason that you can't delete it, but it will show up as being open by the PID 00000000.

What file are you trying to delete?
it depends
Not applicable

Thanks John,

I got the following output:

QUEUE_MANAGER 00008096 [VMS$COMMON.SYSEXE]QMAN$MASTER.DAT;1
00000000 [DECEDI.DATA]DECEDI_CSG.GS;131
Could you tell me what to do next.
File name is DECEDI_CSG.GS;131

How shud I stop queue_manager to access this file.

Thanks & Regards,
ajaydec

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

ajaydec,

<<<
<<<

So. like Jon indicated, the file is INSTALLed. That means, the file has been made permanently "KNOWN" to the system.

Obviously it is a DECEDI file, so to gain control over it, you will have to stop DECEDI. But I really doubt that it would be wise to delete that file (at least without knowing much more about what it is doing, and WHY it would be INSTALLed by DECEDI).

And the que manager? DO NOT tamper with that!!
In this case, it is just a totally unrelated process that has another file opened, which only happens to be displayed one line ahead of your DECEDI file.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Not applicable

Hi Jan,

I have de-installed DEC/EDI from my system and will be installing the later version. While de-installing the older verion I don't know how that file is left and now I am not able to delete that file.

Without knowing I have stopped queue manager in a hope that after this I can delete the file but now the output of show dev /file is as follows:

TCPIP$MOUNTD_1 000005F6 [TCPIP$NFS]TCPIP$MOUNTD.PID;1

Could you help me how can I remove this file from my system.

Regards,
ajaydec
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

ajaydec

>>>
I have de-installed DEC/EDI from my system
<<<
Okay, but obviously it was not yet completely stopped;. or the de-instal did not include a STOP

>>>
Without knowing I have stopped queue manager
<<<

Well, start it again with
$ START QUEUE/MANAGER

>>>
Could you help me how can I remove this file from my system.
<<<

Well, it probably was just INSTALLed, so (needs CMKRNL):

$ INSTAL REMOVE :[DECEDI.DATA]DECEDI_CSG.GS

should do the trick.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

ajaydec,

the file extension .GS does not necessaryily imply, that this file is an installed executable. It my be a global section file, which has been installed as a global section by the DECEDI software. In this case, you may not be able to de-install it with INSTALL and you'll have to reboot the system, if you can't find the correct DECEDI shutdown procedure to remove this global section.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Reboot. Try again.

A reboot is certainly not the preferred solution, but then I'd not expect a product removal sequence to be necessary with most software products, and this removal sequence was clearly incomplete somehow, thus the likely safest way to proceed with any expediency here is a system reboot.

Does the DEC/EDI upgrade sequence indicate the previous version was to be removed before the new version is installed? That's fairly unusual in general, as it nukes the previous context and settings.
Not applicable

Hi Volker,

You are right its a global section, can you tell me how can i remove global section from memory.

Regards,
ajaydec
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

ajaydec,

you can't delete a global section with DCL or INSTALL. You need to find the appropriate DECedi shutdown program to clean up and issue a $DGBLSC system service, to mark that global section for deletion. When the last process, which has mapped that section, exits, then the global section will be deleted.

A reboot will always help ;-)

Otherwise have a look with INSTALL LIST/GLOBAL/FULL and see, if you can find that global section. It may already be on the 'Delete Pending Global Sections' list.

If it's still installed and not on the delete pending list and you can't find the DECedi program to shut down this section, you may be able to write a little program using $DGBLSC to delete the section.

If it's on the delete pending list, you'll need to find, which processes are still mapped to that section:

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> SHOW GSD/DELETE

SDA> SHOW GST/SECTION_INDEX=xx ! xx= GSTX

Then you'll find the WCB (Window Control Block) address in the 'Window' column.

SDA> SET OUT/NOINDEX x.x
SDA> SHOW PROC/CHAN ALL
SDA> EXIT

$ SEA x.x ""

If you find the WCB address, you need to EDIT x.x, find the WCB address and scroll back to the process name. Then STOP/ID that process.

Volker.