Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMS global buffers on SYSUAF & RIGHTSLIST

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

RMS global buffers on SYSUAF & RIGHTSLIST

I'm setting up a new development cluster and before the pesky users get on the cluster I have a chance to enable global buffers on SYSUAF and RIGHTSLIST (which if I recall correctly is considered to be a good thing). My question is how many global buffers? SYSUAF is 560 blocks and RIGHTSLIST is 48. The SYSUAF could get smaller as there are quite a few disusered usernames that could get pruned.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: RMS global buffers on SYSUAF & RIGHTSLIST

Just cache the whole thing: number of global buffer = filesize divided by bucket size.

It is not always exact (multiple bucket sizes, prologue blocks), but close enough.

Also enable rms stats for a while, to see how much little you are gaining?

SET FILE/STATS and /GLOB now have a /SHARE option so that is no longer crititcal to have a quiet system to change this.

Also, the rate of change to those file is mostly low enough that you can convert with new fdl with global and stat settings, then rename into the rigth place, and just have new users pick up the new settings.

Actually, that is how /share will work. Existing opens are not affected, new opens will pick up the new setting

Hein.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

hurrah for SET FILE/SHARE !

Ian,

These days the only limits you need to worry about with global buffers is the total usage across the system. Too many and you'll start to run out of S0/S1 space.

Once they get into S2 space the sky's the limit!

Stealing Hein's line... there's only ONE WRONG number of global buffers on a file - "0" :-)

A crucible of informative mistakes
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I go forth to SET FILE/GLOBAL/SHARE !