Operating System - OpenVMS
1751860 Members
5066 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Rdb SQL IMPORT fails with " %RMS-W-RTB, 8224 byte record too large for user's buffer"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Rdb SQL IMPORT fails with " %RMS-W-RTB, 8224 byte record too large for user's buffer"

Navipa,

what kind of disks are you using with the CHARON-VAX emulator ? DKA or DUA disks ?

There were patches for DKDRIVER (SCSI) to support disk sizes > 8.6 GB for OpenVMS Alpha in 1999. So the same problem might have applied to OpenVMS VAX V6.1.

Volker.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Ah yes, it's all coming back. Some issue with just supporting 24 bits for block numbers in the SCSI protocol.

0x01000000 = 16777216 

16777215 blocks of 512 bytes = 8589934080 = 8 GiB (gibibyte) = 8.6 GB

If that's the bug, then a bound volume set will get the OP goign for a few more years.

MOUNT/SYS/BIND=bigdisk  dka200,dka300 label2,label3

Search for 8GB in : http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq/vmsfaq.pdf

Hein

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>supporting 24 bits for block numbers in the SCSI protocol.

That's probably READ6/WRITE6.  READ10/WRITE10 go to 32 bit LBA.

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dennis,

I don't understand your answers, can you please give in details.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Dennis is referering to, providing details for my comment : "Some issue with just supporting 24 bits for block numbers in the SCSI protocol."

For you Navipa it is more important to look at my reply about bound volumes. Did you see that, did you understand that?

It is likely to solve this issue without requireing upgrades or updates.

You do understand that this is a OpenVMS bug/limitation, and NOT an RDB bug right?

Of course you should still try to 'sell' becoming more up-to-date (or 'less ancient') and get the patches in places.

Cheers,

Hein.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Dennis is referring to, providing details for my comment

That's correct.  Those are the names of the SCSI opcodes that have that limited LBA values.

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Wow!!!!!!!!!!, there are many responses!!!!!!!!!, I am sorry. As I was too hurry to resolve or finding some other solution, I decided to go with Image backup options as a temporary solution.  Anyway I need to resolve the issue as Image Backup is the temporary solution.

Let me go through all your responses and suggestions and I respond you soon.

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dan,
As I mentioned initially and in the attached document, I am trying to RMU/Backup and /or EXPORT/IMPORT. RMU/Backup works but RMU restore doesn't, the sameway the EXPORT works, but IMPORT doesn't.

DB files are spread into 4 disks, the total RBF file's size is larger than 8GB. I have created vdisk of size 8.9GB, 9.5GB, 10 GB adn 12GB to store the RBF and RBR saveset files. I guess 8GB might be the maximum suported disk size, But I am not sure about the maximum supported size. Please see the attached files which show the error I receive while RMU/Restore and IMPORT.

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Dear Holf and Stewen,

I did not use any ZIP or UNZIP with this procedure. Even I never FTPed any zip or unzip file and restore into this server. I m doing everything within the local server.

Yes I uderstand the problem with ZIP and UNZIP, I had this sometime back and resolved with your earlier suggestion, that was different server to which I brought the RBF file frm the repmote server.

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Hi Holf,

I am Exporting and Importing within the local DB, so no question of FTP. Please see the attachment which has file attributes, import log and export detail. for the import log and errors.