4244 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rdb license

Himanshu_3
Valued Contributor

Rdb license

Hi All,

I have Rdb V5.1-1 running on VAX machine. Now this machine is about to change the network and a new IP address is about to be assigned to the machine.I just wanted to know whether the current licenses running on present machine would be valid under new IP address as well ? Is the Rdb licensing IP address specific ?

Thanx
Himanshu
7 REPLIES 7
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Rdb license

Hi,

RdB license does not depend on an IP address.
And AFAIK the more recent versions of RdB do not require any license at all (I'm not sure about V5.1-1 though).

Regards,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Himanshu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Kris,

Does it mean I can upgrade from my present version of RDB without purchasing a new license ?

Cheers,
Himanshu
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does it mean I can upgrade from my present version of RDB without purchasing a new license ?

I'm not into legal and/or commercial matters...
But technically speaking, if a certain RdB version is supported for a certain VMS version, you can install it. The RdB product does not require a license anymore.
Mind you, you still should have some kind of contract/agreement with the commercial side of Oracle, so that you (and your company) are legally entitled to use RdB.

Regards,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Himanshu,

I believe Rdb uses LMF PAKs.

Please post the output of

$ SHOW LICENSE/FULL RDB*

Look for anything other than 0.0 as "Version" and any dates other than "(none)". If there are no version or date constraints, then the PAK should work with all versions of the product .

(NOTE - that doesn't necessarily mean you're licensed for newer versions, just that the PAK will permit them - check your license agreement to confirm you have a "right to use new version").

A crucible of informative mistakes
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

John,

I believe Rdb uses LMF PAKs.

Sorry to have to correct you, but RdB doesn't care anymore for LMF PAKs (at least not the versions we're running (7.0 and up)).
We do have systems with an RDB LMF PAK registered and loaded, but we also have systems happily running RdB that do not have that license loaded (nor registered).

Greetz,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
Didier Ravagli

Hello
RdB licence is also "included" in some NET-APP-SUP LMF package. Just have a look into the sys$update:vmsinstal_lmfgroups.com file.
Regards
Didier
Andreas Fassl
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Rdb 5.1 was at this time sold by DEC. Now this is a product of Oracle. Oracle licensing doesn't require any PAKs or IP keys or other checks.
But if you want to upgrade you have to buy a new license.
If you don't really need any new features and you haven't any problems with the current release, you shouldn't upgrade. BTW, this release of Rdb isn't supported anymore.
I just checked, the eldest release Oracle mentions is 6.1.1.5.

Add. I found this at metalink.oracle.com
"Oracle Corporation announces the end of Error Correction Support for Oracle Rdb Server version(s) 6.0 on the following platform(s): ALL Platforms, effective 31-DEC-1997. Oracle Corporation recommends customers upgrade/migrate to the following as soon as possible to maintain the highest level of support: Oracle Rdb Server 6.1 or 7.0 on any Oracle certified platform.
EAS will be provided until 31-DEC-2000, if the customer has a current support contract in place.
"