3570 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reading CD-ROM questions.

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Reading CD-ROM questions.

Next quite basic stuff.

I found some trouble reading CDROMs on VMS, when these are burned on a (Windows) PC.
Whatever format I choose (ISO9660, Joliet) or Mode (1 = CDROM, 2 = CDROM XA), filenames appear in 8.3 format in stead of 31-character size. Furthermore, it seems VMS is not able to handle multi-session CD's.

Environment is plain VMS7.3-1 (not patched, yet).

Is this a matter of writing the CD's, or something in the MOUNT command, or a combination of both?

Willem

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
6 REPLIES 6
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Reading CD-ROM questions.

for writing the CD with Vms stuff on it, I use LD, available on the freeware at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/ld063/

I put all what I need in a LD device, then I put the resulting file on a PC, I burn the CD (image copy), and it works fine.

What information is on your CD ?
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Labadie,
I know about that.
Point is, I'll need the files on VMS first for that, no problem of course (with DecNet or FTP), but it implies double transfer (I don't have a CD-RW on my box).
Reason: I normally download the VMS patches onto my PC (Stupid, I know, but with the new web-based interface that seems the only feasable way if you don't have a browser on your VMS box >>-((( ) so I'd burn them on CD from there as well; it takes enough time already to get them...
The priniple question: How to get a PC-burned CD-ROM readable on VMS - no matter what's on it - and what does NOT work (Open multisession, for instance).

Willem
Willem Grooters
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Can you do from Vms a simple
$ ftp ftp.itrc.hp.com
and then get the patches ?

Regards

Gerard
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

gerard,
Of course I can. But what for systems that have no Internet access (it happens, you know). And agreed, if ANY system in a network can access the Internet AND that VMS box, that's the one to retrieve them with to pass them over to VMS and create the CD (image) there.
That's not the point.
I have files that need to be saved - widely readable, so not only VMS - so how to achive this in regard to VMS. Multiple, OS-specific versions should be avoided.

Willem
Willem Grooters
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Willem,

you did mount/media=cdrom I assume.

I remember having problems with Multisession CDs too. Joliet is a Windows proprieatry extension. ISO 9660 should be able to handle the long file names.

Greetings, Martin
ITRC Test-CH
Trusted Contributor

ISO 9660 Level 1 limits the filename to 8.3 and the directory tree depth to 8.
ISO 9660 Level 2 allows filenames with 31 characters incl. extesnsion.
For example NERO Burning Room for MS-Windows offers the option to create CDs ISO 9660 Level 2. I've never tried to make ISO9660 multi session CDs.