1753808 Members
8345 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reboot Using Changes From MODPARAMS

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Reboot Using Changes From MODPARAMS

I guess this is really a question I should know the answer to, but can anyone tell me the sequence of steps used to reboot a system using the current AutoGen settings, but also read the settings in MODPARAMS.DAT.

I.E. I've changed MIN_GBLSECTIONS in MODPARAMS, and need to reboot, but don't want to use SAVE_FEEDBACK as the system has only been up a few hours.

Thanks, Rob.
14 REPLIES 14
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Reboot Using Changes From MODPARAMS

autogen help

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Rob,

I agree with Wim. While it is obviously possible to reproduce it here, the best answer (by definition) is to use the HELP within AUTOGEN.

AUTOGEN allows the beginning and ending phase to be specified.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Read it top to bottom about a hundred times over the last 20 years, but it's still not obvious exactly what parameters would give me what I need, and I simply don't have the time to sit and test.

Guess this ones beaten you guys then?

Rob.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If you use GENPARAMS you can generate the last generated settings again (in case of lost settings).

If you use GETDATA GENPARAMS it will re-use the last feedback and mix it with the new MODPARAMS settings. This is what you need I think. If the last feedback was valid.

AUTOGEN can IMO not be used to apply only the modparams settings.

I normally apply them by hand if I don't want a feedback.

Wim
Wim
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

You can also specify NOFEEDBACK which I do all the time.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if NOFEEDBACK is always safe. It will recalculate parameters without feedback. Could that reverse a previous autogen done with feedback ?

I tested it and found ACP_DIRCACHE decreased from 352 to 196. Nothing about it in the modparams file.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

@SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN GETDATA SETPARAMS CHECK_FEEDBACK

should do the right thing as it it will use the current feedback file if it is valid and not make a new one.

Do check the report file and then reboot.

If you don't want to save the system feedback data during shutdown then, well, don't save feedback during shutdown. It's an option during shutdown.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Rob,

I agree with Wim, at least if my understanding of what you are asking is correct, GETDATA would seem to be the place to start.

If you want to be cautious, you may want to stop short of the actual REBOOT and check the new parameters against the prior ones to guard against surprises.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com