Operating System - OpenVMS
1752803 Members
5638 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reboot from dka0: to ewa0:

Marko Klingner

Reboot from dka0: to ewa0:

I have a running VMS-Machine (AlphaStation200). The system is startet with dka0 (OpenVMS).
Now, i will reboot the machine into the ewa0-device (diskless NetBSD) from OpenVMS. But i dont now how.
At the moment i shutdown the system manually and on the SRM-console i enter the comands:
> boot dka0 (for OpenVMS)
or
> boot ewa0 (for diskless NetBSD)
How can i reboot from dka0: to ewa0: ?
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: Reboot from dka0: to ewa0:

As far as I know, there is no possibility to write console variables from VMS. If it would by possible, you could write the variable BOOTDEF_DEV to setup the next boot.

regards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Marko,

as Kalle said, there is no 'supported' way of rebooting from a device other than BOOT_DEV, i.e. the last device the system has booted from (typically same as BOOTDEF_DEV).

I've found an unsupported program called DEFAULT_BOOT.C at:

http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/vmssig/src/C/default_boot.c

This example program seems to come from Steve H. from OpenVMS engineering.

With appropriate modifications, this UNSUPPORTED program might do want you want to do.

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Marko, and Volker,

A word of caution regarding the UNSUPPORTED stuff by Steven H.
It has crashed a dual CPU DS25.
I'm still investigating why. On a single CPU system it seems to work.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Kris, I have put Your warnings in default_boot.c for people downloading from my site.
Joseph
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kris,

feel free to mail me the CLUE file from the crash.

According to the Alpha ARM, some console callback routines must only be invoked from the primary CPU, but GET_ENV and SET_ENV do not seem to be affected by this restriction.

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

To Volker:

feel free to mail me the CLUE file from the crash.

Unfortunately, shortly after the crash we experienced another one (in DECnet) that has overwritten the one caused by default_boot.

According to the Alpha ARM, some console callback routines must only be invoked from the primary CPU, but GET_ENV and SET_ENV do not seem to be affected by this restriction.

I'm currently adapting the program so it can run on the primary CPU only. Still have to find a window for testing it (do not want to crash that system again in the middle of the day (development system)).

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kris,

CLUE files won't be overwritten, you'll find the most recent of them in CLUE$COLLECT:CLUE$*.LIS. As the CLUE file is automatically created from the dump during startup, the crash information will only be lost, if there is a crash during startup before the CLUE$SDA detached process created by @SYS$STARTUP:CLUE$STARTUP has completed.

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

To Volker:

CLUE files won't be overwritten, you'll find the most recent of them in CLUE$COLLECT:CLUE$*.LIS

Somehow that particular CLUE file got lost. Don't know why yet. So sorry.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
Lachnitt_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi out there,

I'm thinking about a totally other way:

If the console is plugged into a Terminalserverport, you can use Kermit or a console manager (like PCM) to give the instructions!

Like:
SHUTDOWN
(Wait until "shutdown completed")
CTRL/P (If necessary)
BOOT EWA0:

Hope that helps!
Bye Kuddel