1748044 Members
5003 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebooting using telnet from a VMS box

Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your suggestions. As far as KERMIT is concerned, I am not in a position to load it on my VMS boxes.

To use rsh or rexec, I do not have any single reboot/shutdown command to send. It is a menu driven proprietary o/s. To reboot I need to login using telnet and then selcting options as per requirement as attached in my question. Is there any other way to achive it.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

You can certainly write your own TELNET client program - I know there was an example in the HP internal TIMA database once.

You need some kind of scripting possibility and this can only be provided by an already existing program (KERMIT would the tool to use - why can't you ?) or by a new program to be written...

You could also try to experiment with outbound TELNET devices, though I don't know if your version of UCX/TCPIP correctly works with them. Then it might be able to read/write from such a TNA: device using DCL - IF this can be done in line mode.

Volker.
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Yes Volker,
I am able to create on TNA1: device using TELNET/CREATE_SESSION IP Address [port] [unit]

Now what should me my approach ?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Can you try $ SET HOST/DTE/ESC=D TNAx: ? Do you get to your FEP and the menue ?

Does OPEN/READ/WRITE x TNAx: also work and can you then READ x line and WRITE x command ?

Using KERMIT would be really much easier...

Volker.
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Volker, I am getting Connected message but not my FEP menu.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

I tried this and it works for me:

TELNET> create_sess vaxvms 23
%TELNET-S-CRSES, Session created on TNA397
TELNET> Exit
AXPVMS $ set host/dte/esc=d tna397:

%REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established

Press Ctrl/D to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode

{ {

Welcome to OpenVMS/VAX Operating System, Version V6.2

Username:

Did you specify the IP address of your FEP and port 23 ? Can you just try it with your local host or another OpenVMS system ?

Volker.
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Volker,

For any other VMS server also I am not getting the login prompt as described in your answer. Yes I mentioned the FEP ip address & port 23
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

This is what I said:

You could also try to experiment with outbound TELNET devices, though I don't know if your version of UCX/TCPIP correctly works with them

I can confirm that I also can't get the username prompt of a remote OpenVMS server, if I use the outbound TELNET device from an OpenVMS VAX V6.2 UCX V4.2 ECO 1 system.

Back to square 1: why can't you use KERMIT ?

Volker.
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response. I went through the various sites as suggested by you all. Although I could not install kermit in my VAX/VMS server due, it helped me in gaining knowledge on Kermit software.

Thanks
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I would check what the menu is exactly doing. If you try to reboot a node via the network, the protocol (IP) may shutdown before the node is crashed and thus the reboot sequence may get aborted.

You should have a way to login on the console port (e.g. console manager or cockpit).

Wim
Wim