7213 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recall Command

John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

We also use set host/log &...
We have Security audit alarms on reboot command, data files, SYSGEN changes etc. When they change an alarm is generated & we keep the events in realtime (off of the modified system). These events are reviewed, it gives the collective sysmgrs a chance to ask questions so that all are usually clued up before the next reboot (never a crash! :-))

With the recall buffer (SDA CLUE PROCESS/RECALL). Any usage of, for example John's point...

$ TYPE REM"SYSTEM SECRET"::DKA0:[HOME]MYFILE.DAT

Doesn't display the password. Which is nice. Of course you can end up with sensitive information from the recall buffer.

Kind Regards
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

In practice , we use command procedures to do file copies so that passwords are not echoed. It started as an aid to help users with the syntax. After 20 years it is ingrained. I have streamlined the syntax of the procedure that I use to look like I have a proxy except that I get prompted for the password with echo-off. Usual precaution with regards to "Set Verify" are taken.
Nothing is given with the usual recall command but I will check the results with CLUE PROCESS/RECALL.
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Zeni: When we need a record of what was done we use either
$SET HOST/LOG
or
Polycenter Console Manager
Polycenter Console Manager works best for us since the log is automatic.
Audit alarms may be useful for knowing that key files were changed.
There are privileged apps and privileged users. You could use logfiles for privileged apps. Logfiles doesn't work as well for privileged users.
Lawrence
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the input.
Jo Torsmyr

Hi Kriss!

I stumbled across this thread by accident ;-)

It must be close to 20 years since i wrote the
RETRIEVE program to overcome the annoying
limitations of RECAL. I am not sure where I
have the original source code now, if you
know where I can find it I would appreciate it!

Best
-jo
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Jo Torsmyr,

Jo,
Your original post of your RETRIEVE program can still be found in the Google newsgroups at
http://groups.google.be/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/fde946a1de91b9f2/2388fa72dcbecbbf?q=retrieve&rnum=9#2388fa72dcbecbbf

A rewrite of RETRIEVE in C that takes the changes in DCL into account can be found at
http://www.quadratrix.be/opensource_material.html

Good to hear from you.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I tried the retrieve software on test systems (both Vax and Alpha). It did work from a procedure. Thanks.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Closing thread.
Jo Torsmyr

Thanks a lot Kris!

Do you know if there exist a VMS_SHARE version
for Windows or UNIX?

I do not have access to a machine running VMS :-(

I have the stuff on some old tapes but not easy
to access them anymore...;-)

Best
-jo
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Perhaps you should start a new thread for this topic. Maybe one of the HP testsystems on the internet can be of some help?

regards Kalle