New Discussion юеВ

Regarding automatic logout

SOLVED
Go to solution
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

Regarding automatic logout

We have OPENVMS 7.3-2
running DecWindows (But not the "new desktop environment").

I wish to modify current users accounts so that the session can ends automatically in half hour or 1 hour due to account inactivity.

By account activity I mean any kind of interactive session i.e any user trying to use any application (example eve or Mozilla etc. ).

In case of batch jobs I would like them to continue even if the session is ended. (This is usually the case when we mannualy end the session).

I am more of a user and less of an administrator so it would be helpful if you can provide details about the commands and reference documentation.

2 REPLIES 2
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Regarding automatic logout

A process can't easily monitor itself for inactivity since this monitoring itself would be activity.

Instead you have to run a separate process that keeps checking on your user procesess.

There is a commercial package that does this (HITMAN) and probably some VMS freeware that you might be able to modify to fit your special needs.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/freeware/

Or for a real custom solution it's not that difficult to write a DCL command file to do this using lexcial functions F$CONTEXT, F$PID, F$GETJPI.
I have one, but it's personal.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding automatic logout

The V8.0 freeware contains the WATCHER utility which is very customizable.

regards Kalle