4696 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote booting of VMS Workstation

Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Remote booting of VMS Workstation

Hi,

I want to reboot an VMS workstation in the network from a VMS server. Can anybody suggests the best way to go ahead with this?
5 REPLIES 5
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

There are a couple of ways to reboot a 'remote' system.

Login via TELNET and/or DECnet is problematic, if these protocols are shut down from SYSHUTDWN.COM

Connectiong via LAT nearly always works fine, as this protocol is very seldom shut down in SYSHUTDWN.COM

You can also login and start a shutdown via the SYSMAN SHUTDOWN NODE command.

I would suggest to set STARTUP_P2="D", which will cause the output of STARTUP.COM to be written to SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.LOG, so you can check for a clean startup afterwards.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If you @ this attached procedure after you copy it to e.g. sys$manager of the workstation, it will reboot detached.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Detached meaning without use of a (telnet) session. Note that shutdowns can hang if certain software is misbehaving.

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Somebody else asked something similar a few days ago.

http://64.223.189.234/node/1237

That's if the box is down.

The various different VAX, Alpha and Integrity Itanium boxes have differing or no remote management capabilities. Some have full remote management, some have limited or serial console management, and some have only external power-based management.

If the remote OpenVMS box is up and running, then the SYSMAN SHUTDOWN command is the usual choice. Shutting down directly with an IP-based telnet connection and the SHUTDOWN.COM procedure can be spotty.

Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys for your reply. I shall work on this & will get back to you.