1753730 Members
4759 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote data replication

Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

Remote data replication

We're running ES47s with OpenVMS 7.3-1 and 7.3-2. We need to find an all encompassing solution to replicate data over 1500 KMs, asynchronously, and be guaranteed intact data in the event of a lost source of replication. No small order, I know. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this, and what products you're using, and if you're doing host based or array replication.

So far, we've looked at Steelhead, and Kashya, and several array based solutions suchas SRDF and the EVA's CA.

What are you guys doing?

TNA
7 REPLIES 7
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Keith Parris once told me that he heart about a 3000 miles cluster. It is unsupported but not impossible. All write IO's and cluster locks will be delayed ...
but if you have a light environment it might work.

Wim
Wim
Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

Yeah, we've heard something similar to this, too. But, we have to stay in a supported configuration, and we're not running clusters.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Have you investigated Reliable Transaction Router (RTR)? See http://www.hp.com/products1/rtr/index.html
for full details.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

I sent in a request for more information about RTR, thanks.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Thomas,

maybe the cluster option should NOT be ruled out immediately.

Keith Parris (from Engeneering) supplies some nice tools on the freewre CD which allow you to concentrate your locking local.

That way you CAN do HBVS with faily little latency.

Maybe you should contact him personally at
. hp com

He is guaranteed to ask the last thread of cloth from your body about your exact demands/wishes, and then come up with the solution that best fits YOUR situation.

hth,

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

'little latency'? You must be kidding!

The speed of light in a fiber is calculated with 5 nanoseconds per meter. Unless I got my formula wrong, 1500 kilometers add up to 7.5 milliseconds for one way.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

that is about at the same scale as the differences between various hardware configs are.

The real pain developpes if you have to make several roundtrips for locking info before doing the actual IO. And _THAT_ is where those lock localisation stuff makes its gain!

And of course, 1.5 KKM is just a little walk further than 1.5 or even 150 KM.
_THAT_ is why you need to answer all kinds of questions, including some on cost, before deciding pro or contra.

fwiw,

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.