New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote procedure on DecNet V

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Congratulations!
I'm just glad that the other stuff like nodename database and so on was set up correctly ;-)
Else, it would have been a more interesting session!
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Antoniov,

There's a program to convert your old proxy data base into the new format. SYS$UPDATE:NET$CONVERT_DATABASE It's recommended as part of your update to Phase V.

To get proxies right, it's worth turning on LOGIN and LOGFAIL alarms and checking the OPCOM messages from a test connection - they will tell you exactly what the incoming user is seen as (ie: "node::" or "local:.node" etc...)

A crucible of informative mistakes
Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Antonio,

There are two proxy files, net$proxy.dat and netproxy.dat. Net$proxy.dat is used for phase V style full name while netproxy.dat is used for phase IV compatibility.

There is a program in sys$system, called convert_proxy.exe, which can convert the old proxy records in netproxy.dat to net$proxy.dat.

You may need mutiple entries in the proxy database for the same remote user if you are using multiple namespaces in your network.

Thanks and regards.

Michael

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

What I don't understand is how you got the errorneous proxies. Manually addding a proxy adds the local word automatically.
Didn't the migration procedure convert them ?

Wim
(prefers fresh installs above upgrades)
Wim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I know convert_database because at first time I comverted old vms and decnet in new vms and decnet. System worked fine.
I repeated installation from scratch, initializing system disk, so I added manually proxy. But I'm newbie in decnet V so I used old style.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's my understanding that CONVERT_PROXY copies from NETPROXY.DAT to NET$PROXY.DAT, but does not add PhV-style proxies.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,
I addes USERNAME="ILLEGAL"
It seems doesn't work

You got the answer about proxies.
Just to make it clear:
The user ILLEGAL (any username not existing in sysuaf) just ensures that no remote user without authorization (explicit with node"user passw":: or node"user":: with proxy , or implicit node:: with Default proxy) can access the object.
Now today where probably Your Decnet is a local net, this is probably no longer as important as in the time of the HEPNET/SPAN "internet": at that time (1987?) my system was hit by the WANK worm, which exploited exactly such open TASK objects.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi,

On systems running DECnet phase IV, both net$proxy.dat and netproxy.dat contain proxy information stored using DECnet phase IV node names.

On systems running DECnet/OSI, net$proxy.dat contains proxy information stored using DECnet/OSI full names while netproxy.dat contains proxy information stored using node synonyms.

Thanks and regards.

Michael
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

NETPROXY.DAT is only present for old code that accesses this file directly. All new code should use the API.