3825 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace DTSS clock by NTP

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

as far as I remember, the DTSS$PROVIDER_NTP examples had been delivered with 'some' DECnet-OSI patch in the past - so it might depend on your patch history, whether you have this file(s) or not.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The DTSS$NTP_PROVIDER.C provider module is available on older releases (and was buggy), the module was removed for a while, and then (was fixed and) added back in within current releases; with V7.3 and later.

Unless you're specifically using DECdts (DTSS) clerks and servers for the distribution of time values, I'd suggest disabling it and switching to NTP -- other than the distribution of the time values, what DECdts once provided is now part of base OpenVMS, with V7.3 and later. The DECdts APIs and the DST switch-over stuff (qv: AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV), for instance, are now all in base OpenVMS V7.3 and later.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Where do I get dtss$provider.h ?

There's also a copy on my server, next to all
the other files, but I failed to provide a
link to it.

http://antinode.org/ftp/dtss_ntp/

> I'd suggest disabling it and switching to
> NTP [...]

I keep meaning to do that someday...
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Wim

We have a test-, an integration- and a production environment. On the integration- and production systems we are still using DTSS for synchronizing the time.

The test systems have to participate the year end test. Involved in this year end tests are also linux, sun solaris, hp ux and nt systems. The year end test starts in October and ends in mid December. During this time, we test the behaviour of our applications and we simulate the time starting in October and ending end of February. Thats why we have to adjust the time on those test systems several times, what means we are doing jumps sometimes one day, sometimes one week to the future. It was easier to use a test NTP server too for those systems, because every system understands NTP and we should not have time differences of more than 5-10 s on the whole test environment. Our experience with NTP is very good.

Now we have already moved, or will still move all of our systems into a secured zone, which is only accessible over firewalls. This means we have to change the IP addresses of all those machines we move. Because we have anyway to touch each system, we decided to move to NTP time synchronization on all of our systems.
The short meaning of this long story: We trust in NTP, because of the good experience with NTP.

Regards

Geni

Kjell Carlsson
Frequent Advisor

I don't see any need for special software. I have configured a local DTSS server to use NTP to fetch internet time. When this server was able to act as a local server supporting both DTSS and NTP. But now we have left DTSS and uses only NTP.

KjellC
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Kjell,

What do you mean ? Without the provider program ? How ?

Wim
Wim
berlioz
Regular Advisor

Just have a look at mike ford answer in the following link :

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=752540
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

That's WITH the provider program. We already had that subject.

Wim
Wim
Kjell Carlsson
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I don't exactly remember the set up. But I think one Alpha OpenVMS 7.1 was set up to act as a local DTSS server. Synchronization from other DTSS servers was prevented. Then I configured NTP to receive global time. Use peer in the *ntp*.conf file. After that other VMS-nodes could synch both via DTSS or NTP and Windows-nodes could synch via NTP.