New Discussion юеВ

Replacing VMS mailbox concept in HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivakumar_3
Advisor

Replacing VMS mailbox concept in HP-UX

hello everybody,
I am migrating from VAX server to HP-UX server.In VAX i have used mailbox to store incoming data from the Clients.How to replace this mailbox concept in HP-UX?
Pls help me out.
14 REPLIES 14
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Replacing VMS mailbox concept in HP-UX

Unix operating systems usually use "pipes" for this kind of interprocess communications, but I think you don't have all features of VMS mailboxes.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivakumar,
I think here nobody is able to help you because we are expert of VMS no Unix.

Unix uses pipe to connect two processes. Pipe is like a mailbox but with some limitations. For example, in unix both processes have to be running to comunicate each to other (pipe is merely an i/o channel) while vms mailbox keeps record until receiver process read from it.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Shivakumar_3
Advisor

Thank u for ur reply sir.
What exactly i am doing is i am getting a buffer with data from another m/c running qnx and storing that buffer data in the mailbox and accessing that mailbox through a fortran file.Is there any storing method now to save the buffer data in HP-UX and access that data from that stored method.
Please help me out sir.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you want to store record on HP-UX box, post your question here
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=117
If you want to store buffer in vms mailbox, you can just use a mailbox. Record is avaiable until receiver process read from it.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

How do you mimic VMS Mailboxes in Unix? You don't. The principles of Design of UNix do not lend themselves to efficient mechanisms like VMS Mailboxes. That said, if you must, why not just write the data as a file on the unix box. One of the aspects of Unix that they "beat up on VMS" with, is that it's faster to open/close files etc.

If you are looking for something a bit more robust, i.e. looking for guaranteed delivery, in order sequencing etc. Consider MQ (Either Bea MessageQ or IBM MQSeries)

p.s. why in goodnesses name are you writing in Fortran? Not that I don't like Fortran, but if you are doing a migration, you may want to consider something more portable, with a bigger maintenance skill base etc...

Peter
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Watch out, please:
- an OpenVMS mailbox works as a record-oriented device, by default.
- a PIPE is a stream-oriented device
Shivakumar_3
Advisor

Thank u very much everybody.Now i am clear what to do and how to tackle the task.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The natural replace for mailbox IO on VMS with something on Unix (any Unix) is "fifo's"
Ckeck out the Unix man pages for mknod.

However... while you are re-implementing you may want to consider to switch to sockets and use tcp to communicate, allowing client en server application to live on distinct nodes some day.

Of course the recommended upgrade from a VAX is an Alpha or Itanium OpenVMS server. You should be able to save a bundle of porting costs that way :-).

Hein.