4921 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reset password only on Decserver 700/200

Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Reset password only on Decserver 700/200

Hi,

I've a little issue (as usual). I have 2 DECServer 200 and a 700. Since noone has touched these since they were setup about 7-8 years ago it seems like everyone has forgotten the passwords (the login password, seems like people remember the privilege password thou), and to make matters abit worse noone remembers how they are supposed to be configured and it was never properly documented. Since we cannot login at all we can't dump the port configuration either.

One of my collegues said that he remembers something about these old machines, which just happened to be a password only reset.
Does anyone of you know anything about this?

Google didn't really give me much about this subject.
I've found this on ask the wizard, but I'm not enitrely convinced that it won't reset my configuration.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_6185.html

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
9 REPLIES 9
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Fredrik,

If you have the priv-password, just connect to a local port......and hope one of them is configured access=local.

H├Г┬еkan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the quick answer.
I've found an old document regarding Port 1 on the decserver 700. Sadly I haven't found the configuration for the other 2 decservers or for any other ports.
It says "access: dynamic"

Does this mean it uses both local and remote for that port?

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Port 1 of those servers is the so-called console port. During boot some messages are displayed.
'Access dynamic' means both local and remote access.
If you press the reset button while powering up the server, it resets to factory settings, so not only the priv.password but also the port settings are being reset.

regards Kalle
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Thank you Kalle,

This is what I thought, then my best option is to hope that I can find some kind of terminal down in our datacenter and connect it to the ports (and figure out which ones on the other two that is properly configured) and change the login password from there?

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Fredrik,

In your case, the only way in ( without reset )is to connect a terminal to the local ports one by one until you get a LOCAL> prompt.
( LOCAL> is the defaultprompt ).

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

>>>
then my best option is to hope that I can find some kind of terminal down in our datacenter
<<<

You might also connect a PC or laptop, using nearly any terminal emulator...

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The usual sequence is the factory reset:

http://64.223.189.234/node/236

There is no password-only reset I'm aware of, if the privileged password is forgotten.

The factory reset will reset everything.

Or you can get a second DECserver or terminal server, and switch your ports over to that and (once all the ports are over) you reset the original terminal server to factory default. The original then acts as a spare.

Terminal? Why? If you have an OpenVMS box around, you can use a serial wire from one of the serial ports on that box over to the DECserver, and the DCL command "SET HOST /DTE ddcu:" to get to the port.

I regularly use the COM ports on one of the more conveniently-located AlphaServer boxes (works as well with Integrity Itanium boxes), and (if your cable is wired on COM2, it's TTA0:) and a pair of H8571-J adapters or a DB9 null modem cable. Done.

I've also used USB to serial adapters with the Mac OS X boxes, but (for a quick fix) COM2 to console (or to DECserver, here) works very nicely.

I'd suggest a permanent ink marker or a decent-quality label sticker, too. Write or stick the (new) password directly onto the DECserver box.
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

"everyone has forgotten the passwords (the login password, seems like people remember the privilege password thou)"

Have you at least tried the standard password, which is "access"?

Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Yes I have tried ACCESS (in all cases) and I've also tried some of our standardized passwords.

I'll close this thread now since I've gotten the answer I asked for :) I just need to get my hands on a terminal or a usb -> serial cable :P

Hoff, the machines is in opposite ends of the datacenter and is connected via ethernet. I could try and use one of the 3 as backups (not all ports are used on any of em) but I'm not sure if all ports are properly configured and since I can't check it any other way then plugging it in and configure the LAT port it's somewhat time consuming (running back and forth to the datacenter).

When I get a local terminal I will dump the configuration and set a password that people after me can actually use. But for some reason my predecessor didn't do this and the little available for me to use is cryptic notes in some report regarding a crash at best.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson