108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reset reboot device remotely

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

Reset reboot device remotely

I seem to recall this from my days as a VAX admin: There was a command available to reset the selected boot device from a running OpenVMS without having to type ^P to the console to do a console SET command. However, I'm now on an Alpha ES40, currently (but don't wannabe) at OVMS 7.2-1. First, I don't recall the exact command. Second, is there a corresponding command for an Alpha?

The problem is that we have a primary site and a (very distant; 500 miles+) backup site. After too many budget cuts, I now manage both sites, but since I don't yet have a split personality, I can't be both places at once.

This is a military personnel system, so we are not allowed to run KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) switching through the firewalls. That rules out doing it via networking operations and a KVM connection, not that we had one set up anyway. So either I have to be there or I have to figure out how to do it remotely. The site manager is good about this but his staff has also been cut so that he has no regular operations staff. And he gets called to meetings a LOT. So I can't always rely on him to be there when I need him.

We are in the process of trying to upgrade to OVMS 7.3-2. I have made bootable copies of our system disk during our last trip (due to hurricane Dennis), but now I'm back at the primary site. Rather than having to travel 550 miles+ just to do an alternate-device reboot, is there a way to just reset the selected reboot device while still talking to a running copy of OpenVMS?

I'm thinking of SYSGEN or SYSMAN commands, if I recall the event correctly. But like I said, it has been years since I had to use this. Can anyone help me or has this incredibly useful feature been removed since the last time I used it?
Sr. Systems Janitor
15 REPLIES 15
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Simply do control-p and then fast
"set bootdef_dev ..."
and then "c" for continue.

Never did it on production because of possible time-outs.

Know no other ways on alpha (shame that they didn't implement that yet, Sun has).

Wim
Wim
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

Regarding fast ^P and set bootdef_dev - ... I am not at the console device. I'm using either DECnet (PWIP) or TELNET connections. No KVM switch. No access to console device.

That is the command I would use if I were at the console. I need something when I am 550 miles away from the console.

Sr. Systems Janitor
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Richard,

Attached is a program that will set various console
environment variables. I haven't tried it and I
don't recall exactly from where I got it (probably
on comp.os.vms somewhere). I rember there was another
very similar program also. You will likely have to
modify it to do exactly what you want.
Good luck.

Dave.
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

David, your link leads to something that has nothing to do with OpenVMS.

I'll try the web search of the site you named.
Sr. Systems Janitor
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Richard,

The attachement was a C program...
When you say it had nothing to do with VMS, what
exactly were you getting?
I have attached a ZIPped version here.

Dave
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

David,

When I downloaded the file and unzipped it on my Windows workstation, it gave me a .C file, but when I tried to read the file, it is all special characters. Nothing comes through that is readable.

The previous site looked like a health-food advertisement or dietary supplement site.

Thanks for trying, but I still don't know what is going on here. I'll search some more.

Sr. Systems Janitor
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Richard,

I access this site using VMS 8.2, Mozilla 1.7-8
and DO NOT have or use Windows. If you transfer
the ZIP file to a VMS box and unzip on VMS you
should get what you are after.

Dave
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

Finally got it work so I could read it. So, basically, you are writing something to the hardware reboot parameter block. Makes sense, I guess.

Now if I only had a C compiler... Ada can probably do this. Look out, Alpha, here I come!
Sr. Systems Janitor
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

its using the HWRPB to find the console callback routines setenv and getenv.