New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restarting TCPIP in OpenVMS without reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jasper_15
Occasional Advisor

Restarting TCPIP in OpenVMS without reboot

Greetings,
Is there a way to restart TCP/IP in OpenVMS 7.3-2 without rebooting the server? I expect something wrong with my export share-point and it refused connection from my Linux server.

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Jasper
11 REPLIES 11
Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Jasper,

$ @sys$startup:TCPIP$SHUTDOWN.COM

$ @sys$startup:TCPIP$STARTUP.COM

If some of the clients are still holding on to the BG devices, you may not have a clean shutdown.

Thanks and regards.

Michael
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

For NFS you can use

(server)
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$NFS_SHUTDOWN.COM
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$NFS_STARTUP.COM

(or client)
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$NFS_CLIENT_SHUTDOWN.COM
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$NFS_CLIENT_STARTUP.COM

without impacting other connections.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jasper,

Menu based
$ @sys$manager:tcpip$config.com

--> choose option 6 to start TCPIP
--> choose option 5 to stop TCPIP

Manual
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$STARTUP
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$SHUTDOWN

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

don't forget to log to SYSTEM account for @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$STARTUP or submit it with /USER=SYSTEM. And of course, you'll need enough process privileges for shutdown from different account then SYSTEM.

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

A few things to remember if you should restart TCPIP as a whole:
1. DON'T DO THIS IN A TELNET SESSION. Shutdown would not be a problem but it will drop your connection - and you will not be able to restart it unless you have another way of connecting (DECNet, or console).
Of course you can prevent this when running the stop/start sequence in batch. But if startup fails, you still need that other (non-TCPIP) access method to find out why it didn't.
2. Be sure that other TCPIP-based programs such as webservers are stopped BEFORE you restart TCPIP. TCPIP$SHUTDOWN will warn you if this is the case. These programs may continue to run but will need a restart as well after you restarted TCPIP.

If you just have to start and stop NFS services, beware of open sessions. All connections may need to be restarted.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

enable network opcom messages and try the connection and you may see a message from the NFS server about why it refused connection from your linix server.

Have a look in OPERATOR.LOG for older messages.

Willem wrote
'1. DON'T DO THIS IN A TELNET SESSION. Shutdown would not be a problem but it will .....'

If you are trying to reboot your system, it works fine (even SET HOST xxx will work). It doesn't mather or you are logged in over TCPIP or DECnet ! This was an issue in the (very) early days.

If you only stop TCPIP and want to start it up, yes, this can not be done when you are logged in using a IP connection.
The easy way to do this is make a com-procedure including
$ @sys$startup:tcpip$shutdown
$ @sys$startup:tcpip$startup
and submit this as system. This works fine, I'm doing this sometimes when a particular part of IP restarting wont work.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

@Anton: Of course: Reboot can be initiated from a telnet session, as well as TCPIP$SHUTDOWN. But if, for some reason, TCPIP is not started during reboot, you're done. You need another route into your system te start TCPIP. Console (obviously) or, indeed, DECnet (unless you do DECNet over Ip, since that requires TCPIP - which has not started)

But reboot wasn't the point here. Jasper wanted to restart TCPIP without reboot. And than the warning holds :D

@jasper: First you should determine the cause of trouble, if you think the problem is within the system. After reboot NFS might work again - but your running environment will be lost - finding clues on what went wrong will be somewhat troublesome :D

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Dirk Bogaerts
Frequent Advisor

If you have Telnet-symbiont printqueue's, check them after full TCPIP stop/start; sometimes the queue's can go into 'stopped' state.