New Discussion

Re: Restore GS160 on a 4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Wim,

I've restored the contents of our GS80 onto a 4100 twice now, system disk and all data disks. Our 4100 has 50% less memory than our GS80 partition, but our DB + apps are OK.

As others have mentioned it's how good your startup scripts are. Now, trying not to mention already what's been said...

If it's a single node system without HBVS, life is made easier witha generic boot mount if you use F$DEVICE("*","DISK") and mount what's available (/noassist/over=id get volnam & remount system wide).

Some systems will automatically autogen due to memory differences (SYSGEN NPAG_BAP* one example)

I'll assume your 4100 is on another LAN (IP/DECnet etc) :-) but also be careful that your apps/monitors (especially those that start from boot) don't start sending smtp, ftp etc msgs/files as sometimes it's often forgotton that your seperate LAN can also pass these onto the recipients !

We do a full or partial "what if" tests at least twice a year. Also worth getting business users involved in testing the apps (once you're happy you've got it right!)

Regards,
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Wlm,

Unless you are using some feature that is not supported by the 4100, you should not have a problem, at least if the system is configured in a friendly way.

That said, I have encountered more than a few systems that are not configured in a way friendly to this type of reconfiguration. The most common problem is mass storage configuration.

I have also had great success on the other side, provided that the environment was constructed is conducive. It is really a pleasure to have a system disk that allows a nodeto be booted on any size system, from a DS10 to a GS. See my paper on "Inheritance Based Environments in Stand-alone OpenVMS Systems and OpenVMS Clusters" at http://www.rlgsc.com/publications/vmstechjournal/inheritance.html

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com