6951 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restore Takes long time

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Mahmoud,
I'm not sure KZPBA-CA SE can run Ultra Wide3 SCSI (160Mbs); it appear as Ultra Wide (40Mbs) that's 4 times slower than your tape driver.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

For for example,
you can see in island page http://www.islandco.com/scsi.html
KZPBA-CA is not ultra160 like IC-KZPEA-DB or 3X-KZPEA-DB

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Veli K├╢rkk├╢
Trusted Contributor

how about adding

/BLOCKSIZE=61440

to your backup command. It might make the backups pretty much faster and will also help restores.

_veli
comarow
Trusted Contributor

There is a real problem is cache on SAN devices. It thrashes. Try reducing the diolm to 32. Note that xwindows won't start.
comarow
Trusted Contributor

I'll add that if you must use xwindows the min is 100, but if you can do it in batch keep diolm below 32 even as low as 4 to prevent the san from thrashing.
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
In fact I passed all information to my customer site engineer, I am waiting.
I will Assigne points regarding to the solution.
Dear Comarow,
I want to inform you that the problem as i mentioned is on both SAN and local disks attached on single machine.

Best Regards.
Emad Omar
Regular Advisor

Dear all,

Thank you for your kind replies. But I need to clear something which it is very imporatnt to all of you. SDLT 160/320 Tape Drive has an Ultra 2 SCSI LVD Interface. This means that speed of the I/O will not exceed more than 80 MB/s even used Ultra 3 SCSI Controller. Therefore the Ultra 2 SCSI Controller (KZPCA-AA) is a good choice for using these SDLT Tape Drives on Alpha Servers.

On other hand I noticed that this problem was appeared at SAN/Cluster environment and also at Single Servers. So thinking on SAN configuration is putting aside.