Operating System - OpenVMS
1751898 Members
5011 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restriction on creating a bootable DVD for OpenVMS

John Vitt

Restriction on creating a bootable DVD for OpenVMS

Can someone please clarify why there is a 2GB restriction on creating a bootable DVD? I am currently running OpenVMS v7.3-2 on a DS15 with a LG4120B IDE burner. I can create SA bootable environments on DVD media but only up to 2GB. I would like to use as much of the disk as possible to distribute s/w kits in-house. I have followed the process outlined in the "Ask the Wizard" entry #9820 which makes no mention of a restriction, but found that anything over 2GB wouldn't boot.
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

which version of the LD software do you have?
Get the current one from
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/ld/

earlier versions have 'issues' including size restrictions.

Ian,
I am running whatever came bundled with VMS 7.3. I believe the LD package is now part of the OpenVMS FIS. I will have a try with v8.2 FIS and see if that resolves the issue. Are you indicating that you have had success in creating a > 2GB bootable DVD?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I've not tried it but I'm told that you want the updated LD kit from the freeware.

there will be a new version of LD available soon but there version previously mentioned is worth getting anyway.

Thanks, Ian.
I've checked on the LD071 kit from the Freeware distribution and it does mention it supercedes the 7.3-2 bundled sw so I will download it for my 7.3, but it also mentions that it should not be installed on 8.2 which is what I am currently trying. I am using DVDwrite from Dr. Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann at Univ. of Konstanz and may follow up with him as to whether the limitation is inherent with the DVDwrite package, a restriction on the AXP boot loader or something else.