1748051 Members
5186 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running DSM on I64 OpenVMS

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Here's a left-field option that you may or may not want to consider, or that you may or may not be permitted to consider, or even mention:

GT.M

http://mvb.saic.com/freeware/freewarev80/gtm/

And yes, hardware self-support or negotiating a contract for specific hardware configuration support with HP or with a third-party is certainly feasible.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Ideally there would be a way to run DSM and the 3rd party application that is dependent on DSM on OpenVMS I64. This way I can avoid the cost of 50+ DS10s.

Having the DS10s in a cluster with the I64 would be nice but according to the documentation, OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 is only supported with I64 version V8.2

There would be support issue movind the application to Cache or GT.M since it is a 3rd party app.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> This way I can avoid the cost of 50+ DS10s.

Maybe a (second hand) slighty more powerful Alpha provides a better economy (fewer disks, network connections, fewer systems to maintenan...) ?

>> Having the DS10s in a cluster with the I64 would be nice but according to the documentation, OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 is only supported with I64 version V8.2

BS argument.
If DSM would run on OpenVMS Itanium then it would be used under 8.3.
So apparently there is a willingness to go to 8.3 (for the right reason) Right?
Why not just go there now on the Alpha's?
That 'migration' is 10 times easier, and in your case 10,000 times easier, than the migration to itanium.

>> There would be support issue movind the application to Cache or GT.M since it is a 3rd party app.

And there is probably a support issue going to 8.3 also, but that ought to be negotiably, notably if you are willing to just try. The vendor(s) may like to know it works unders 8.3

fwiw,
Hein.
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

I have 50 different sites so I can't use one big Alpha.