108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN DISK Identification process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

The devices are unique UDID? Meaning that one of the devices you manually set the UDID does not correspond to the new devices being added if their CU:LDEV was converted?

That is the only thing I can think of that I know is an issue.
David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

Did you ever finish working through OpenVMS operating with SVC? We are about to embark on that journey...

thanks
david
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

I always do this:

$ mc sysman io scsi
$ mc sysman io auto/log

If I don't do the "io scsi_verify" before, sometimes it does not pick up the new devices. However, if I do, then as long as I have remembered to present a non-zero O/S unit id, then the above sequence works.

Did you do both (even though you didn't unpresent any devices)?

This was with EVA6000 with latest (as of Feb, 2007) firmware/CV software, and ES47 with VMS 8.3 Factory Installed AVMS83R1.

Jon
it depends
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

Maybe a question you already know, but are all the areas on the switches open for the OpenVMS system to see the SAN ?
It looks like there is a breach somewere.
Are connections switched, are groups on the switch changed, is the systemname still the systemname (for the switch) ?
Are on the SAN the securitys correct ?

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
William Brown_2
Occasional Advisor

I'm late to this discussion but am having a similar issue when adding new vdisks to a 4 node VMS 7.3-2 cluster. I have found that the LUN on the SVC numbered 0 - 15 are visible to VMS with SYSMAN IO AUTO. LUNs 16 and above are not. One of our node had vdisks that the others did not so it stopped seeing new vdisks before the others. I finally tracked it down, so it seems that VMS is seeing the SVC LUNs and one SCSI channel and is limited by that. We have the question into our IBM vendor.

Our 'old' storage is HP EMA12000 and each shelf of 14 drives is seen as a different SCSI channel. I wonder how EVA handles this as that was the second choice to the SVC based storage (DS4800 controllers).

Thanks,

Bill Brown
St Jude Children's Res Hospital
Memphis
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I wonder how EVA handles this

The EVA has a Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC_AL) back-end.

Every disk drive is dual-ported and connects to a loop pair. The EVA5000 + 8000 have two loop pairs - all others have one loop pair.

Depending on the size and age of the model, there is a 'loop switch' in the back-end so that the controllers and disk enclosures are connected in a 'star topology'.

The latest models even use small 'cut-through switches' (CTS) in their disk enclosures.

But this is nothing what the server sees. At the front-end, the EVA looks much like a HSG in SCSI-3 mode (controller device at LUN address 0), except that today's models run in (asymetrical) active/active mode.
William Brown_2
Occasional Advisor

I did a fiber scan and it looks as if our VMS system is seeing several SCSI 'targets' which I think is the SCSI channel. LUNs 0-16 are the same on each of these targets. Thus we only see the first 16 vdisks presented to a node. We are in a 4 node cluster and one has several disks the others do not...each only sees the first 16 mapped to it. I'm attaching FC scan results.

Thanks,

Bill
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

try running this

MCR SYS$ETC:FC$CP FGA 2 1 8

worked for me with ds20 vms v7.3-1 , v7 firmware and ibm svc and ds8000.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

sorry then run another sysman io a
William Brown_2
Occasional Advisor

Mark...re:

try running this

MCR SYS$ETC:FC$CP FGA 2 1 8

worked for me with ds20 vms v7.3-1 , v7 firmware and ibm svc and ds8000.

Is that 2 space 1 space 8 ? Did not show up ver well in the answer on the forum. Looks more like that now since I pasted it in.

BTW, I booted one of our DR nodes in this development cluster Saturday night. At boot (probably after the INIT) and coming back up on VMS the system saw the disks past 0 - 15 LUN...but after that I still could not add more disks with IO Auto.

I then went to another single node cluster system on OpenVMS 8.3 and added LUN 23 without problem. Scanning the FC shows LUN 23 on this 8.3 system where the 7.3-2 system still tops out showing 0-15 even though additional disks are recognized above that after a boot.

We will be upgrading our systems to 8.3 over the next couple of months, but want to have the SVC storage in first :-).

Thanks all