5067 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCA REPORT very slow on Itanium

Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

SCA REPORT very slow on Itanium

Hi folks,

We have a mixed archtitecture cluster in place (2x RX2660s running VMS 8.3-1H1 and 2x DS15As running VMS 8-3) which is used for software development in OpenVMS Pascal.

We run the same build scripts on both architectures amd after the build completes construct the internals report and LSE package.

The Alpha 8-3 buold of the system (debug and non debug versions) took 37 minues, the Itanium version took 75 minutes. In the past, builds without the SCA reporting have taken roughly the same time. SHO PROC/CONT was used to verify what the command procedure was executing.

The SCA version in both cases is v5.1-01

Hope someone can shed some light. Note, its not really a problem, I'm just very curious as to why it should take so long.

Regards

Brian Reiter
16 REPLIES 16
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Are there lots of alignment faults?

Have you look at the performance metrics of the process running SCA ?

SCA 5.1-1 appears to be the latest version (from DECset 12.8 eco2)

Hmmm, looks like it.

During the build (MMS and Pascal) the alignments faults were in the low hundreds (200 or so), now I'm seeing a max of 382236 with an average of arounf 180000.

Seems very excessive.

I'm assuming there are no workarounds.
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi Brain,

>> During the build (MMS and Pascal) the alignments faults were in the low
>> hundreds (200 or so), now I'm seeing a max of 382236 with an average of
>> arounf 180000.
Now that you know that there are alignment faults, next step would be identify
which process is causing the alignment faults.

You can use the FLT trace to find out which process is causing a lot of
alignment faults. Check the following thread -
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1276597674260+28353475&threadId=1425319
This talks about a similar problem and also talks about using the FLT trace to
find out which process is causing lot of alignment faults.

It might be intresting to know from where those alignment faults are coming.

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Most of the faults appear to be coming out of the batch process doing the build.

Anyway, I've attached a text file showing the results of the FLT tracing.

At the time the batch process was running SCA$MAIN. There are thousands of faults reported by SDA$SHARE+FF300 with the process ID of the batch job. Is this normal? Or is it a side-effect of the tracing.

cheers

Brian

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

a pointer to the SDA FLT documentation for anyone that's interested

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6549/6549pro_030.html#sda_flt

Hi Brain,

>> this normal? Or is it a side-effect of the tracing.
The "Exception PC" is getting symbolized to SDA$SHARE+... because you are within SDA process.

In this case, you need to look at the EPID 216010B0 (picked up from one entry).
Get in to the process context using "SET PROC" command and then issue the
SHOW TRACE command again. The symbolization would be more informative as it
would be with respect to the correct process. (i.e. EPID 216010B0).

Check the following link -
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/ebf9c3ae63a6d14e

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Hi Murali

I tried that. However it made little difference, the SCA$SHARE execption PC is still the most common. For a 5 second trace it accounted for 141432 faults. LIB$GET_VMS was next with a rate of 5366.

cheers

Brian
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There is a DECset ECO resident in the patch area, though I've not pulled that apart to see if an SCA update was included in the patch kit. If (when) you get around to escalating this to HP, they'll want to verify that kit is installed.

Also see if the PC monitoring tool available within SDA helps, or instrument your own builds; get SCA out of the loop. With some basic tracking and a brute-force RMS file, you can trend your build times, both in general and for specific components.

In addition to the alignment faults, looking at other areas of system activity during the builds would be appropriate. While piles of alignment faults will certainly slow your processing (substantially), it is not yet certain what the limiting factor might be here. Builds can tend to be CPU and disk bound, and can suck down copious memory. Differences in fragmentation or allocation or any number of other factors can be in play here.

That 37 minute number on the Alpha implies a very large pile of source code, or some potential for improvement, or both. I'm aware of some Very Large source code builds that conclude in about an hour; builds that are almost certainly far larger than your builds here.
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

DecSet has ECO2 applied to it which seems to be the latest.

The systems do contain 2 decades worth of crap, but the 37 minutes was for a normal build followed by a debug build.

I wonder if the issue is to do with the way SCA compiles the reports, it seems to be relying on TPU to perform the bulk of the work.

However, as per usual, I am unable to escalate this to HP. Management are uwilling to to invest in any form of software support contract.

Regards

Brian