Operating System - OpenVMS
1748199 Members
2662 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM Management Agents on VMS 8.3 (Itanium based)

Philip Howes
Occasional Advisor

SIM Management Agents on VMS 8.3 (Itanium based)

I'm testing the Management Agents that I installed on our Itanium based (rx4640) VMS cluster. We connect to it over the web using a PC. It connects OK - asks for the system password etc. You log in OK, and it goes to the Device Home Page. We then click on 'HP insight Management Agents for OpenVMS' icon , and it sits for about 5 minutes before giving some options. None of the options seem to display anything useful. For example. There is one to show the 'File System Space Used, which always comes back (after about 5 minutes) and says that no storage is detected. We normally get a list of disks in the MSAs with previous installs. Any other request comes back with nothing(e.g. memory utilization)
We never had any problems with it before, as we used it to set up disk thresholds etc.. I recently installed the latest patch I could find for it ( v0304-2-4), but it didn't make any difference. I've checked all of our SNMP and ip settings, and they appear to be correct. Has anyone seen anythign like this before? Its strange in that it appears to work, but when you actually carry out a query, nothing is returned. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM Management Agents on VMS 8.3 (Itanium based)

Some basic questions:
What TCP/IP stack are you running?
Are all the agents running?

WBEM$CPQHOST
WBEM$CPQSYSINFO
WBEM$CPQSTDEQIP
WBEM$CPQHEALTH
WBEM$CPQTHRESH
WBEM$CPQNIC
WBEM$CPQSTORE

Can the necessary Java script run in your PC web browser?
Philip Howes
Occasional Advisor

Not sure what IP Stack I'm running. It was whatever came with VMS 8.3 as default. I did a 'show version' in tcpip, and it came back as HP TCP/IP services for OPenVMS v5.6 running on OpenVMS v8.3.

All of the services you mention are running, as well as a few others:
WBEM$DCLSHOW
WBEM$SERVER
WBEM$SVRCLU

I have just tried looking at the agents on our test cluster, which is set up the same way, and it malfunctions in the same way.
Thanks,
Phil
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

I'll assume that you are running TCP/IP services. It looks like all the agents are running, plus seeing the same problems when you look at two different systems makes me wonder about the PC that you are looking from. Can you try a different PC? A different web browser?
Philip Howes
Occasional Advisor

I've tried accessing it from 3 different PC's, and have basically turned off all of the Internet security - but no effect.
I'll continue to check the PC settings to see if it is anything else.
Output is displayed - for example, i get a message that says "none detected" when i look at the File System Storage Space. I would have thought if there was a PC issue, I would not have got anything back at all, other than an I.E. or Java error or something similar.
Thanks.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

What username is starting the management agents? What priviledges does that username have?
Philip Howes
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for not getting back quicker - I've had other bits of the system to get up and running.
I'm looking at this problem again, and can't seem to get anywhere. I believe the management agents are running as 'SYSTEM'. I've double checked the settings on the SNMP traps, and Ip addresses which point to the SIM server etc...
As i mentioned earlier, we set it up a couple of years ago on an Alpha and it worked first time. On the Itaniums, under VMS8.3 its a different story.