108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMISERVER on 8.2 cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Geilow_1
Occasional Advisor

SMISERVER on 8.2 cluster

I just built a new cluster, and on all 4 nodes the smiserver process does not start. I can manually start it on the entire cluster. How can I find out why it does not start on a boot? My old 7.2-1 cluster it works great.
8 REPLIES 8
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

John,

SMISERVER is being started from SYS$STARTUP:VMS$BASEENVIRON-050_SMISERVER.COM

Are there any error messages on the console during boot ?

I'm also running a V8.2 cluster and SMISERVER is available on all nodes, so it can't be a generic problem on V8.2

Volker.
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi John

I know about a problem on 8.2 with Process_Management, but I don't remember which patch solves the problem.
If you are using this 'problem' process_management, then SMISERVER will not start. It's also not possible to start it manually.

Regards

Heinz
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Heinz,

there is only one patch for OpenVMS Alpha V8.2, which contained a new PROCESS_MANAGEMENT.EXE, that's VMS82A_SYS-V0100 (-V0200 and VMS82A_UPDATE-V0200 contain that SAME image).

John,

do you have any patches installed ?

Volker.
John Geilow_1
Occasional Advisor

All,

I do not get any error on boot up about not starting SMISERVER or starting it. I also have all the lated patches install. I also verify the startup.com file, to make sure that the startup for SMISERVER was in there and yes it is.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

John,

if you are interested in further diagnosing this problem, please consider to do the following:

- check with $ ACC/sin="''f$getsyi("boottime")'"/before="''F$GETSYI("boottime")'+0-:5"/full
for any possible errors. The SMISERVER process should normally have a process id near NET$EVD or TP_SERVER.

- consider to activate full startup logging and verification setting STARTUP_P2="CDV" or using SYSMAN> SET STARTUP OPTIONS/CHECK/OUTPUT=FILE/VERIFY=FULL and reboot. This setting will write a full log of everything done during startup into SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.LOG - search for SMISERVER in there...

Volker.
John Geilow_1
Occasional Advisor

Volker,

I check out the account information and found no errors except for one file not found and several error in device name, nothing about SMISERVER.

I then reboot and set the startup_ p2 to "CDV" and check the log file, it says it started, so I now check to see if the process SMISERVER is runing and it is.

I do nothing to the other nodes in the cluster but reboot and now all is working. I do not know what I did to fix it.

Thanks for you help.

John
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

John,

things like that happen, don't worry ;-)

If there is a real problem, it will come back, but we've now documented what should be done to troubleshoot this.

Volker.
John Geilow_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again.