108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SMTP - Change sender for specific forwarded emails

SOLVED
Go to solution
vms
Occasional Collector

Putting define netserver$timeout 0 only inside SYS$SPECIFIC:[MAIL$SERVER]login.com solved that last issue. 

I think this is also limiting the possible system-wide side effects on other decnet activities.

@Hoff, Thanks for your input

I brute-tested sending batched decnet mails simultanously from different servers and noticed no problem; I see in accounting the MAIL$SERVER decnet processes are even overlapping. 

Also tested your dcl mail (http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/725), quite interesting is that mail object can be open/read/write in the same time by 2 processes. 

Hoff
Honored Contributor

>quite interesting is that mail object can be open/read/write in the same time by 2 processes. 

You're on a network.  Stuff happens asynchronously.  And with the massive increases in mobile web activity, the network connections can randomly drop as the client crosses cell coverage dead spots, meaning the servers have to contend with gltiches most anywhere in the traffic.

Writing AST-based event-driven servers on VMS is fairly easy, and most servers on VMS are either AST-based or they'll use something akin to inetd or its DECnet analog to start up server processes for incoming connections.  Apache uses a pool of server processes for its traffic.  

(This is AST-based processing I'm referring to with the VMS server processes.  Threaded code with pthreads has rather more "gnarly" than does AST-based code, in my experience.  Fewer VMS server processes use threads.)