SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: SRM Console hang up

> I've downloaded the DIGITALPW_V72_1.EXE

As I said, I'd make and use a CD-ROM.

> and copyed it to a diskette.

There may be more than one way to do that.
How did _you_ do it? On what?

> The PWS does'nt recognize it, or the
> installed version is the same as the
> version from diskette.

I'd know more if you explained exactly what
you did, and what happened then, instead of
providing your analysis and interpretation of
what happened when you did I-don't-know-what.

I assume that there are precise instructions
somewhere which explain how to create a
suitable floppy, holding a suitable file,
using the tools available on one or more
different operating systems, but I haven't
seen them for a long time (because I simply
use a CD-ROM).
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

I'm pretty sure that the .EXE is intended to be booted from a hard disk. A .SYS file is downline loaded from an Infoserver or a suitably setup VMS-based MOP server (LANCP, Phase IV or V). I don't think you can boot the firmware bootable file from a floppy at all.

The "insufficient dynamic memory" error sounds very familiar, though. It's not related to the actual memory on the system. Something about needing to find a certain amount of contiguous memory in the first "so much" of memory. It'd be interesting to know if the physical memory in the system is properly setup with the SIMMs/DIMMs in the right order, etc. There's always the option of taking out the peripheral cards, using a serial console and trying without any add-on cards.

Nothing that you've done seems like it should have corrupted anything permanently especially if you got no errors during the firmware upgrade. The sticking point is that error. If you can't get SRM to pass that point then you can't get output from SHOW CONFIG or SHOW DEVICE for diagnostics. If it were a machine in my lab, I'd pull any PCI and EISA/ISA cards and try to get it to pass POST. It seems like you've got a device no longer supported by the SRM giving you a wedgie that AlphaBIOS allows.

bob
Elroy_Starcke
Occasional Advisor

Sorry guys, it was a very bloddy failure of mine. I did'nt rename the file on the diskette to "fwupdate.exe"!!! The machine did now the firmwareupdate. I did a romtest and it reports that the srm-rom had a error. It seems that by the first firmwareupdate something went wrong. Now the SRM-Console starts normaly.

Thank you very much for your patience and your support!!!
Elroy_Starcke
Occasional Advisor

The first firmwareupdate seems to cause a error in the SRM-rom. A new firmwareupdate corrected this error. SRM-Console starts normaly again.

Thanks a lot!!!