1751714 Members
5159 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SSH/SCP Compatability mode.

Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

SSH/SCP Compatability mode.

My how I hate this Unix "standard" stuff.

We have Eunuchs wallies, that want to transfer files to our VMS Alpha, and as such insist on SCP as a file transfer mechanism - However, they are running some "ancient" version of Unix, which doesn't have SCP/SSH V2.0, and as such we need to run in V1.0 compatability mode to receive files from their "standards based machine...

If the SCP was from out end, we could initiate with a "-1" (One) qualifier, which would appear to force SCP V1 compatability. However it is being driven from their end, as we really need to modify the [.ssh2]ssh2_config. (and sshd2__config.) to suit.

These have an Ssh1Compatability parameter, which I understand should be set to be "Yes"

But, there is a Ssh1Path and a SshD1Path parameter, which would appear to need to point to a V1.0 compatible SCP/SSH.

the problem is, I see nothing about where or what that image should or could be, (nor any specific documentation about these settings...)

Help...
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Re: SSH/SCP Compatability mode.

It appears that there is a configuration parameter. ssh1internalemulation which may force the ssh2 (vms) server, to operate internally in SSH1 mode.

It would appear that ssh1/scp1 is the default mode for Solaris boxes - Another reason (One of many) not to use Sun.

q
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Peter,

Have you (or they) considered using C-Kermit from
the *nix end and sending the stuff over an SSH connection?

Just a thought...

Dave
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Here we are in one of those organizations that insists that the "strategic" way forward is "Open Systems" aka Solaris, which, as we all know is one of the most non-interoperable systems around. It's bad enough being mandated to use SSH, but then having to drop back to SCP1 compatability mode (which is RCP over an SSH1 link, as I recall). Kermit, would be a step deeper down the "lowest common denominator" path. MAybe we could do punch cards, and overwrite the text line with a marker pen...

sigh...

Q
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

tcpip v5.4 eco5 release notes section 4.3
"The SSH1 protocol suite is not supported for terminal sessions, remote command execution, and file transfer operations. Parameters unique to SSH1 in the server and client configuration files are ignored."

Tell the slowaris people to wake up and upgrade to something current if they want to talk to a modern operating system like VMS :-)

Another option is to buy SSH for OpenVMS from Process Software. This includes SSH V1 support for terminal/command sessions and RCP over SSH2 support for the Unix implementation of "SCP".