1748169 Members
3901 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SWCC Compatibility Question

Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

SWCC Compatibility Question

Have been asked to look into installing some monitoring software on an Alpha (7.3-2 + TCPIP 5.4) to monitor it's storage sub-system.

The Alpha has a RAID Array 230/Plus card installed. The software which came with the card (a few years ago) is called 'RAID Management Utility for OpenVMS v2.4', and the manual only mentions v6.1 & v6.2 OpenVMS.

I'm assuming this software is incompatible with 7.3-2 ?

I have looked on the HP web site and for this card now they are saying use SWCC v2.2 for OpenVMS.

Does anybody know if this will work with the Alpha running v7.3-2 & TCP/IP v5.4 ?

Does anybody currently use this software elsewhere ? Is it any good ? Any horror stories or success stories with it ? Any words of wisdom anyone can pass onto me ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
11 REPLIES 11
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

That monitor will work on 7.3-2. I don't know what the latest version is, I'm running 2.0 which behaves.

That raid controller isn't the most flexible storage option, but it does the job and I still one in a production site running 7.3-2.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Andy,

Sorry, which monitor are you using under 7.3-2 ?

The SWCC or the old one which comes with the RAID card (which states v.6.x in the manual) ?

Cheers,

Jeff
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

I'm using an upgrade the CSC provided many years ago, SWXCR 2.0. Originally installed under VMS 7.1-2 and working under 7.3-2. This is a command line utility with e-mail capability.

I wasn't aware SWCC could monitor a KZPAC (Raid 230 PCI card).

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

I have a couple of these cards. Have a problem with one of them now. The SWXCR/SWXCRMGR tools never connect and go in to RWAST if I ctrl-Y them. After a few hours or overnight, I see they do finally get what they were waiting for...

When they last worked, I got this header:

* StorageWorks(TM) Raid Array 200 Management Utility *
* Version V1.1.5 *

when I saved a config printout. Is the v2.0 you mention later than this? At this time, I am going to have to shutdown the node and use the RA200RCU floppy-based program in order to see what is up on my controller and drives. I really hate that!

I do have a PCSI kit that is called "SWXCR-V0500". v5.0? But I believe it is the kit I used to install the software that generated the above banner...

My KZPSC and PZPAC cards have F/W v2.70 on them.

rick
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I have two alphaservers with RAID Array 230/Plus (aka SWXCR).

I installed DEC-AXPVMS-SWXCR-V0300--1.PCSI on VMS Alpha V7.3-2 and V8.2 and it runs just fine.

The release notes say its V2.4 and the kit filename says its V3.0 and the image idents from ANALYZE/IMAGE are V1.0 so I'm not sure what version it is.

Thanks guys.

This makes me feel more confident now about installing this vintage software on my Alpha.

Cheers,

Jeff
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

We have VMS V7.3-1 & 7.3-2 TCP/IP 5.4 ECO 4 with 2 x SWXCR. Kit name DEC-AXPVMS-SWXCR-V0501--1.PCSI dated 20-NOV-1997. The release notes says

RAID Array 200 Software V4.0 for OpenVMS and mentions kits. DEC-AXPVMS-SWXCR-V0400--1.PCSI & DEC-AXPVMS-SWXCR-V0102--3.PCSI

Had no problems using SBB 24x9.1GB disks, the monitor function works just fine using $ SWXCR MONITOR device /MAIL=username /INTERVAL=10

Make sure you save the RAID card configuration somewhere.

It's been a long time, but I think the LUN limit is something like 32GB. We recently upgraded the disks and RAID card to a 5300a and boy do these babies fly :-)

Kind Regards,
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

DEC-AXPVMS-SWXCR-V0102--3.PCSI is for use on VMS V6.1 and older.

I looked deeper into my kits. The release notes say it is v4.0, the internal version IDs say v1.0 and the PCSI kit name is "v5.0". Go figure...

It looks like this is a new as it gets from the roundup mentioned above. It is an old, retired product line after all...

NOTE: The PCSI kit, v1.02-3 is for OpenVMS v6.1 ONLY. Not "and older". You are supposed to use the little "Invoke_PCSI.com" instead of directly using PRODUCT. It sniffs around first and uninstalls old and IFF you are OpenVMS v6.1 does it install v1.02-3, otherwise it installs v5.0.

p.s. There is at least a one other thread on this topic in the past:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=217791

Rick