1748275 Members
3709 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SWXCR monitor installation on OpenVMS

Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

SWXCR monitor installation on OpenVMS

I have an alpha DS10 running OpenVMS 7.3-1. I need to install the swxcr monitor software to monitor for problems. I pulled the .PCSI and INVOKE_PCSI.COM off of the sw RA200 diskette. When I install the kit, the SWXCR verb does not work. What am I missing?
12 REPLIES 12
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have you logged out and then back in again to get a new copy of DCLTABLES?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Check the dates on SYS$SHARE:DCLTABLES.EXE - it should have been updated to include the SWXCR command. Check that the latest version is installed
$ INSTALL LIST SYS$SHARE:DCLTABLES.EXE
should show the updated version of the file.

Logout/in to ensure your process is using the latest DCL tables.

I removed the product and reinstalled it. The "installed" version of DCLTABLES.EXE matches the current version. I logged out and back in and still get: $ swxcr monitor dra /mail=(robo::ts_mail)/log/int=10/opcom
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\SWXCR\

It looks as if the SWXCR verb is not there.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have you checked if there is a 'local' copy in SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSLIB] which overrules the one in SYS$COMMON: ?
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

These are the only copies on the system:

Directory $1$DRA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.SYSLIB]
DCLTABLES.EXE;310

Directory $1$DRA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSLIB]
DCLTABLES.EXE;310
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Layne, in step 8 of the Invoking the PCSI Load Procedure it says "Reboot the system". Did you reboot your system?
Lawrence
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

I have not rebooted the system. That's probably what I'm missing in my process. Since it is on a production system, I was hoping that I didn't have to reboot.

I will schedule a reboot later in the week unless no one has any other suggestions.
Jeffery D. Urmann
Regular Advisor

Layne,

I haven`t tried this myself, but have you tried loading the driver manually with Sysgen
$ MCR Sysgen Load SYS$LOADABLE_IMAGES:SYS$DRDRIVER.EXE

and then execute the images directly (i.e. $ MCR SWXCRmgr !or SWXCR$Monitor or SWXCR$Util or which ever option you are trying)?

Disclaimer: A reboot may be required for safety.

Enjoy,

--Jeff
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Careful, please!

It looks like the system boots from the RAID controller: $1$DRA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSLIB]

Old versions of the device driver required the monitor utility to connect through a disk drive's device entry to talk to the adapter.

In later versions, a separate device (DRMA0:) was provided. It is possible that the .PCSI file includes a new driver (I don't know for sure) and thus requires a reboot.