108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SYMBIONT_xxx

SOLVED
Go to solution
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

SYMBIONT_xxx

Is there an "easy" way to associate a SYMBIONT process pid with which queue it handles?

We "hit the ceiling" yesterday with MAXPROCESSCNT and the only unusual thing I noticed was about 70 SYMBIONT_xxx processes. I don't think there's that many print queues on that box.

Recent changes (~4 weeks ago) were DCPS v2.4 upgrade (from v2.3) ... no reboot was done at the time. I ran AUTOGEN and bumped up MAXPROCESSCNT and rebooted last night. System starts out with 15 SYMBIONTs and that sounds about right.

Alpha 800, 512MB, VMS v7.2-2, missing a few patches I'm sure ;-)

Cheers,
Art
53 REPLIES 53
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Art,

if you do a SHOW PROC/ID= you'll see the allocated devices for that process. SHO QUE/DEV would show the device names together with the queue name.

PIPE SHOW DEV/FULL LT | SEA SYS$PIPE SYMBIONT should also provide similar results - assuming LAT device queues.

The DCPS$MAX_STREAMS logical will limit the no. of print-queue handled by one symbiont.

Maybe there was some problem with print-symbionts failing and being restarted, but not going away completely. Did you check OPERATOR.LOG (DCPS is good at writing error messages to OPCOM). Also check for *.DMP process dump files in SYS$MANAGER or SYS$SYSTEM

Volker.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Sorry, no LAT, it's IP based printing and the BG device doesn't give any obvious clues.

$ show proc/id=212006f6

21-JUL-2005 12:27:40.47 User: SYSTEM Process ID: 212006F6
Node: xxxx Process name: "SYMBIONT_709"

Terminal:
User Identifier: [SYSTEM]
Base priority: 4
Default file spec: Not available
Number of Kthreads: 1

Devices allocated: BG452:

$ show dev/full bg452:

Device BG452:, device type unknown, is online, record-oriented device, network
device, mailbox device.

Error count 0 Operations completed 9
Owner process "SYMBIONT_709" Owner UIC [SYSTEM]
Owner process ID 212006F6 Dev Prot S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:RWPL,W:RWPL
Reference count 1 Default buffer size 256

I'm thinking I have to do some incantation in SDA?

Art
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Art,

does TCPIP SHOW DEV BG452 show a target IP address, which you could associate with the printer's IP ?

If you really want to do something with SDA, you could find the DEVICE_NAME in the SCB (Stream Control Block) structure in each symbiont process using SDA.

There is a SCB vector somewhere in P0 space of each symbiont process, which points to the SCBs for all streams. Inside the SCB, there is a pointer to the DEVICE_NAME string.

You just need to look at the source listings in [PRTSMB] to find the offset for psm$gl_scbvec in SMBSRVSHR.MAP - then you can locate the SCB vector and all the SCBs.

You could search with SDA in P0 space of a symbiont for 'BG'

SDA> set proc/ind=
SDA> SHOW PROC/PHD

SDA> SEA 0:/LENGTH=WORD/STEP=BYTE 4742

Volker.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

It's TCPware ie. no SHOW DEVICE command.

Art
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Art,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 155 of 184 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption < My Question(s) > you will find < questions or topics with unassigned points > Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. Nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before, then please do not take offence, certainly none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Sheesh! How about now:

"I have assigned points to 185 of 185 responses to my questions. "

Even assigned points to those that hijacked my threads ;-)

Do you guys in Europe et al. see the tv show Drew Carey's - Whose Line Is It Anyways (yes I know it's a knock off of the English show) - to quote from the opening:

"A show where the answers are all made up and the points don't matter"

Cheers,
Art
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

"Whose Line Is It Anyway" - a fine show best listened to on BBC Radio 4 (available world wide via the interweb).

Art,
I have to thank you because you was the first fellow gave soem point to me some months ago.

Cheers.
Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I guess you can do it with a dcl procedure.
At first galnce you could redirect output of "show dev bg" command to a file, than you could read sequentially line and ask for owner with F$GETDVI(,"OWNUIC").

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti