1748179 Members
4147 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SYSMAN startup sequence aborting

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If you want to be 100% sure that each startup thing is not disturbed by another one (on the subject of symbols and process logicals) only batch is allowed. 2nd is spawn.

My point is that if you change mode from SPAWN to BATCH that your boot may fail. IMO this should not be the case. Or ALL modes fail for an F, or none.

In any case, my boot continues whatever the status. The procedure explecitly has to require an abort of the boot (by means of a logical). E.g. when mounting of the disks failed.

And, there is no message that the boot is aborted when the batch jobs ends in F.

I also remember that some fatal errors are warnings, it all depends on who programmed it. So, who cares for the status VMS gives us. You have to test success yourself.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jon,

Wishlist : add this too : submit batch job with /retain=error. Now is the SM that must set the queue /retain.

Also, how to modify the sync ? It's in startup.com that you may not modify.

Wim
Wim
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Wim,

I saw the sync but didn't realize you were referring to sys$system:startup.com, I was thinking that one of the files being executed was using the sync statement.

What I was talking about was just the general behavior of the DCL SYNCHRONIZE verb.

Sorry if I caused anyone confusion.

Jon
it depends
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

As you and others of the US are funding the global baillout, you are forgiven.

For those with financial hobbies :

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09212008/business/almost_armageddon_130110.htm

Wim
Wim