Operating System - OpenVMS
1752808 Members
7000 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: -SYSTEM-F-CTRLERR, fatal controller error

Russell Jones

-SYSTEM-F-CTRLERR, fatal controller error

I have 1 disk in my ES40 server running OPENVMS V7.2 w/c I can no longer access. Although, I can still "set def" to that directory --- but I can not view the content of that disk. I am prompted with error. Below are some of the commands i try to execute but still I failed to access the disk.

Below are some of commands I issued to access the disk with error messages.

P_@[PSIPROD]> set def disk$lagprom:[lagunaprod]
P_@[PSIPROD]> sh def
DISK$LAGPROM:[LAGUNAPROD]
P_@[PSIPROD]> dir
%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening DISK$LAGPROM:[LAGUNAPROD]*.*;* as input
-RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
P_@[PSIPROD]> anal/err/brief DISK$LAGPROM:
Error Log Report Generator Version V7.2

%ERF-E-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for DISK$LAGPROM:[LAGUNAPROD]ERRLOG.SYS;
-RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
P_@[PSIPROD]> anal/disk/NOrepair DISK$LAGPROM:
%ANALDISK-F-OPENINDEX, error opening INDEXF.SYS, RVN 1
P_@[PSIPROD]>
10 REPLIES 10
Russell Jones

Can anyone pls help what is the error?
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Russell

The message

Probably indicates a hardawre error.

Saludos.
Daniel
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Russell,

I'm afraid the disk is gone. A CTRLERR indicates in 99% of the cases a hardware problem. I hope you have a backup (no pun intended).

Although, I can still "set def" to that directory --- but I can not view the content of that disk.

For SET DEFAULT, the device & directory do not have to exist. SET DEFAULT only sets some defaults for file parsing.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Gaurav_G
Occasional Visitor

So, wat's is the probable solution to this problem?

Can anybody help?

Regards,

Gaurav

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

This is a hardware problem that can only be fixed with hardware replacement. I have in the past successfully exchanged a controller board on the physical disk with the intent of saving data only (not for continued production use), but for the most part hardware replacement is the only option. If the problem is with the controller card in the system (as opposed to the controller on the disk), then replace the card.

Dan
Gaurav_G
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Is this problem related to controller of the disk or the entire disk?

If its the problem with controller only then how can one replace the controller? what is the process of the same?
And if there is issue with disk, what one supposed to do?

Regards

Gaurav

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

There is a lack of details in these postings. Can you please post the device info? Perhaps the output from SHOW DEV/FUL DISK$LAGPROM woud help.

Disks are "smart" in that SCSI disks have their own controllers to manage the device requests. This is different from the IO controller to which the disks are connected. You have an ES47 which has disk controller cards in it. These are what I am calling the IO controllers. Each disk has its own PC board attached which is its own disk controller.

Hope this helps,
Dan
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

CTRLERR means >>controller error<< in contrast to DEVERR >>device error<<. So in case of CTRLERR the SCSI controller has a "problem". This could be because the SCSI bus is incorrectly configured (assuming it is really an "internal" disk drive and no fibre) or, the controller board has a failure .

Was something changed on the SCSI bus? SCSI bus termination? Any other device hooked up to that bus section?

The errorlog would have a bit more about what the controller's problem is.

/Guenther

MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

"Is this problem related to controller of the disk or the entire disk?"

Who knows?

Do you have hardware support with HP for this device? If so, log a job with them and problem is solved.

"If its the problem with controller only then how can one replace the controller? what is the process of the same?
And if there is issue with disk, what one supposed to do?"

If you don't have hardware support with HP then probably the cheapest approach is replace the disk, then if it still doesn't work, replace the controller (assuming it's not an on-board controller).

Cheers,
Mark