Re: %SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER,

SOLVED
Go to solution
wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

%SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER,

Gentlemen,

DS15 server with OpenVMS 8.2.

I encountered a problem when I do a Image Backup $backup/image dka0: mka100:cp01_sys.bck/label=cp1sys and the errors message prompt as below:

%system-I-mountver, DKA0:is offline, mount verification in progress

%system-I-mountver, DKA0: has completed mount verificati

Does anyone have any idea how to get past this?

Thanks
Jason
12 REPLIES 12
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jason,

could there be a HW problem with the DKA0: disk (or the tape or the SCSI bus) ? Did you boot from the OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 CD and try to run backup ? Does the backup continue after those messages ?

Was the disk logging errors under normal operations ?

Volker.
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Hi Jason

I assume you here you have booted from a CD in order to do a standalone backup...
With this assumption, can you do a tape operation with VMS from DKA0 running?

It could well be due to an incorrect termination of the SCSI bus.

Start at the console with a:-
>>> sho device
Make sure all DK devices have a unique letter/number and you can see the right quantity of devices on the bus.

If the DVD/CD is a DQ device, then it's not interferring. If it's a DK then it needs a unique SCSI ID. ie. not 0 or 1 as they are in use.

You might have NO terminations or 2 terminations on the SCSI bus. SCSI need 1 termination to work correctly.

Check the termination setting (jumpers) of the tape drive (and CD if it's a SCSI device) and adjust them according to whether the SCSI cable has one or not!

A typical config would be a terminator at the end of the cable and all devices UNterminated.

If this doesnt work can you put an external tape onto the second SCSI bus and leave DKA0 on it's own?

Regards Steven

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Note that the messages are -I- informational.

Does the backup continue successfully?

The additional load imposed by the backup operation may be causing problems with the hardware.

Hi Volker.

once the message came out, the scree keep on scrolling and didnt stop.

Thanks
Jason
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jason,

so these are continuous mount-verifications on the DKA0 disk (although they are just -I-).

Please see the advise given up to now and check your SCSI bus etc. And try to answer the other questions to provide more information for diagnosis...

Volker.
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Jason

The messages might be informational but mount verification doesnt happen normally on this architecture and it will at minimum slow you down!

You'd better try to resolve it.

Steven
wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

Steven/Volker,

Thanks for your fast respond, I have done the image backup last week, but having problme once my colleague did a image backup last 2 days. And he told me that >>>show device, he can see the MKA100, DKA0 & DQA0 are online. DS15 only have one HardDisk, one DVD ROM and one Tape Drive.

I think the backup has not running and the console screen keep on scrolling. the only way he can stop is press the Halt button.

Q) If this doesnt work can you put an external tape onto the second SCSI bus and leave DKA0 on it's own?
A) we dont have external Tape to test second SCSI bus.

Q) I assume you here you have booted from a CD in order to do a standalone backup...
With this assumption, can you do a tape operation with VMS from DKA0 running?
A) Sorry to tell u, I dont know how to do tape operation with VMS from DKA0 running. Dont mind to guide me, thanks in advance.

We tried few time image backup, continuous mount-verification on the DKA0 and console screen scrolling stil occur.

Thanks
Jason

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jason,

can you boot from DKA0 and succesfully run OpenVMS when booted from that disk ? Without MOUNTVER errors ?

If so, try the following:

$ ANAL/DISK DKA0: ! check file system structure
$ ANAL/DISK/READ DKA0: ! read allo blocks allocated in files

The above 2 commands will generate a high IO load on the DKA0: system disk.

Then try the BACKUP command and send the output to the NULL device, not writing to tape:

$ BACKUP/IMAAGE/IGNO=(INTER,LABEL) NLA0:TEST.BCK/SAVE

As a last step, you could do a real backup to tape:

$ BACKUP/IMAGE/IGN=(INTER,LABEL) DKA0: MKA100:CP01_SYS.BCK/SAVE/REWIND

Use $ SHOW ERROR to check, if any errors are being logged.

If you can't boot OpenVMS from DKA0: or don't know how to login, you could also use the above commands after booting from CD. Issue a MOUNT/OVER=ID DKA0: first, to be able to access DKA0:

Volker.
wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

Volker,

I├в m new in OpenVMS, please guide me step by step.

I can successfully run OpenVMS when booted from the disk and run the application after booting. The command as below:

>>>BOOT

1) The 2 commands given by you is the self test command?

2) Does it come out error message after this command I run?

$BACKUP/IMAGE/IGNO=(INTER,LABEL) NLA0:TEST.BCK/SAVE
3) Where the backup save? Since not writing to the tape?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Jason