Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-SYSTEM-W-NOMSG, Message number 0000A700

Petr X
Advisor

Hello all,
I've a problem with Networkign devices being mapped correctly afte patch installtion.

1) Patches installed

- UPDATE-V1700
- SYS-V1700
- SHADOWING-V0700

2) after reboot this error appeared in STARTUP.LOG:

%TCPIP-I-DEFINTE, defining interfaces
%TCPIP-E-INVINTER, error defining interface: LE0
-TCPIP-I-ACPQIO, failure on internet ACP QIO
%TCPIP-E-INVINTER, error defining interface: LE1
-TCPIP-I-ACPQIO, failure on internet ACP QIO

Don't have any glue what is going on and how to repair.

- TCPIP patch version installed is 5.4ECO7
- Openvms version 7.3.2 is running on ES40 Alpha
- Patches installed with SAVE_RECOVERY_DATA so rollback is possible.

I'm seeking for a way howto repair damage and not to rollback..

any response is mostly appreciated.
2 REPLIES
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: -SYSTEM-W-NOMSG, Message number 0000A700

hi,

is tcpip services up and running ok otherwise ?
what does ucx show inter or ifconfig -a display ?
has it been sometime since a reboot and what changes have been made to tcpip config in the meantime.

hth

Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

Re: -SYSTEM-W-NOMSG, Message number 0000A700

%X0000A700 does not look like a standard system error, but very well could be a sign of a problem with something that is exiting abnormally and was unable to properly clean its stack. I tried to look up error %X0A700 and couldn't find anything obvious.

First thing I'd check is whether other utilities such as LANCP can actually see the devices. I don't believe LANCP uses any of the TCPIP services (strictly internal driver calls, I think) so might be immune to any bug in TCPIP. SYSMAN is able to show you whether the driver got loaded, which is useful information - if it DIDN'T get loaded. I'm assuming SYS$ELDRIVER is what you would use for that device, I'm not familiar with it. Just for gigles, verify that you have a SYS$ELDRIVER in your SYS$COMMON:[SYS$LDR] directory 'cause that's where it has to be if you are going to use it. Check its age and you should also be able to check the UPDATE patch for the files it touched.

Having said that, I am running OpenVMS 7.3-2 on an Alpha ES40 mod 2 (actually, on four of them). I use a DE504 on two systems and a DE602 mother/daughter pair on two systems, all four with TCPIP 5.4 ECO 7, and don't see that error in my TCPIP startup logs. However, due to availability and scheduling, I'm behind on the update patch, only at v16, so it is probably EITHER something in the v17 update or it is driver-specific to the LE0/LE1 device.

I doubt my comments will solve your problem but they might help to eliminate some factors that you might otherwise have wondered about.
Sr. Systems Janitor