108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SYSTEM account unable to mount device

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: SYSTEM account unable to mount device

Ok. MOUNT as a logical name or such might work to redirect the image activation (and the usual there is a symbol and not a logical name), but that's unusual. The intent here for the logical names was the device names. That's more common.

And here... a mount of RF0C24$DIA7: tosses out an error for _RF0C$DIA7:? That's odd. Are there logical names for SCRATCH, RF0C24$DIA7 and _RF0C$DIA7 around?

I'd probably use

PIPE SHOW LOGICAL | SEARCH SYS$PIPE DIA

to see what sorts of DSSI-related logical names lurk.

If this is really DSSI and not an emulation, then that's a cluster interconnect, and there are specific requirements around setting up nodes in a DSSI cluster.

GSnider
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hello all,
I am working with Jan Mlotkiewicz, installing a Charon-Vax replacement system for their Old VAX 6620. Both the Old VAX and Charon-Vax had the same problem in mounting disk drive that had been dismounted.
Here is what I found out, they have always had this problem, and it is due to them running PerfectCache. When I stop PerfectCache from running, then I can mount disk drives. When I restart PerfectCache again I can no longe mount disk drives.

This is a new one for me.....

Greg Snider
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Greg,

there is probably some lock being held by PerfectCache for this device. This could explain the DEVBUSY message...

Thanks for letting us know.

Volker.
GSnider
Occasional Advisor

Using Charon-Vax, I had created some Spare Disk drives about 5-6 of them, PerfectCache would not let me mount any of these new Spare drives either, but it would let me INIT the drive and give it a volume label, so PerfectCache most do something for all Disk drives....

I install a lot of Charon systems, and we get blamed for some old problems that they have and don't know about, just ask Jur......

Greg Snider
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

Right. Many times when transferring contents of old systems to an emulator we get the blame for things that don't work correctly. Many times this is due to old software in use which has flaws, no patches installed, etc. When transferring to an emulator they run into these issues, many times because the emulator is much faster than the original systems. Bringing the systems up to rev is almost always the answer.

Jur (Emulators hat on).
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Greg, Jur,

my argument in these case is: look at how excellent CHARON-VAX emulates the system - including all the original bugs !

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

And my response is "and the blasted crash scrolls past so fast I can't read it"...
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Don't recall if this feature is available for VMS 6.2, but if so, it might save you some time spent in SDA.

$ set term/widt=132
$ defi show$debug 1
$ defi show$debug_lckbuf 1
$ show devi RF0C24$DIA7: