1751967 Members
4790 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SYSUAF Internal Layout

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

SYSUAF Internal Layout

Looking for a definition of SYSUAF for someone on the VMS Yahoo! group.

Anyone?
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is a module UAF70DEF in SYS$LIBRARY:STARLET.REQ on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-1 that seems to describe the layout.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Do you mean "$ LIBR/MACR/EXTR=$UAFDEF/OUTP=file SYS$LIBRARY:LIB"?

Robert.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

$ library/extract=$UAF070DEF -
/output=$UAF070DEF.MAR SYS$LIBRARY:STARLET.MLB
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Yep, different route to the same info.

Cheers, Rob.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

or for C

library/extract=UAF070DEF -
/output=UAF070DEF.H-
SYS$LIBRARY:SYS$STARLET_C.MLB

Robert,

As a supplement to Uwes and Ians definition files there is the SYS$GETUAI and SYS$SETUAI system service documentation, which gives a more detailed description of the fields and bits:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/4527/4527pro_005.html#jun_321

and

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/4527/4527pro_007.html#jun_530

Ians C version has quite good comments.
Btw, Ian made a typo in the command:
library/extract=UAF070DEF -
/output=UAF070DEF.H -
SYS$LIBRARY:SYS$STARLET_C.TLB

Bojan
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Robert,

From your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 74 of 196 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption ├в My Question(s)├в you will find ├в questions or topics with unassigned points ├в Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. ├в nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum.

Proost.

Have o
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Robert,

Sorry, you already know this, but it has to be restated...

Please don't write programs that know anything about the record format of SYSUAF. Although unlikely, engineering is allowed to change the format at any time.

The documented interface to the UAF are the system services SYS$GETUAI and SYS$SETUAI. These are guaranteed to be consistent, regardless of any changes to the internal formats of the UAF.

The only thing that's missing is a way to walk through the UAF sequentially, or perform wildcard searches. You can determine the location of keys to the file from ANALYZE/RMS. Using that, you can write a program that knows where the username field is, use it to find keys of interest, or sequential scan with RMS, but use $GETUAI and $SETUAI to do everything else. Although not ideal, at least you can check the correctness of your program without requiring access to sources (OTOH, even if other parts of the UAF change, I suspect the keys are fixed for all time).
A crucible of informative mistakes
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Turns out the other chap just wanted to read the 'Password Changed Date', so I've pointed him in the direction of the Freeware GETUAI software.

Thanks for all your replies, oh, and yes - I will get round to assigning the rest of the points.

Rob.