108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Samba (e0300 ia64vms) - Error creating / deleting Files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis K├╢rner

Samba (e0300 ia64vms) - Error creating / deleting Files

Hi,

I just installed the eval of Samba on my Itanium mashine running OpenVMS8.2.
I managed it to configure and start up the server. I can log on to the mashine and see the shares I published.
What I can't do is delete or create new files. I can copy something from my PC (using copy/paste), but can't create something new (Right-click new) or delete.

I put the create mask in samba to 0777. The user I have on the client-side, is the file-owner of the files I'm working on.

Is there anything I forgot?

Thanks for any info
brgds
Dennis

------
smb.conf
[global]
netbios name = openvms
workgroup = SambaIX
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
domain master = yes
guest account = SAMBA__GUEST
domain logons = Yes
log file = /samba_root/var/log.%m
create mode = 0755

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0750
path = /user$disk1/user/%U

[public]
create mode = 0777
browsable = yes
read only = no
path = /user$disk1/samba/public
17 REPLIES 17
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Samba (e0300 ia64vms) - Error creating / deleting Files

Dennis,

We also are evaluating this release of Samba for VMS on Itanium.
Though we have not yet encountered the problem you are describing, we did see some other 'quirks', like:
1. Cannot be configured as member in domain. Services keep crashing.
2. If configured standalone, passwords are not that easy modified.
3. If configured standalone, then files are seen but sometimes cannot be opened from Windows.
4. Variable length, carriage return carriage control files are not handled correctly (i.e. show up real ugly in e.g. Notepad).

Did you use the 'smbpasswd' utility to map the PC user to a Samba account?

So, I think we have to get some feedback to the guys who did the port, so they can fix these issues.

Regards, and sorry that I can't give more assistance,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

Herzlich Willkommen beim VMS forum!

-- and thanks for your efforts. We are not yet there, but when, we will be VERY gratefull to the likes of you who cleared our path!

Proost.

Have one on me (maybe in
jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Dennis K├╢rner

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply and the info.

I used pdbedit to add the user to the sam-db. Running it again (to list, add or delete) results in a crash now, but that could result out of my missing vms-knowledge.

So I guess samba on vms is not really my choice for our productive system. Here I come HP-UX....

Thanks anyways and keep up the great work

Dennis
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

So I guess samba on vms is not really my choice for our productive system. Here I come HP-UX....

Please do no let the problems you (and we) have with this "evaluation" release of Samba turn you away from the greatest operating system in the world. I agree that it is early days yet to even consider using Samba for anything else than testing, but eventually, the guys porting Samba will get it right. There is already a lot of so-called open source software (Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc.) that has been ported to VMS, and working as a charm.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Dennis K├╢rner

hi,

don't get me wrong. Our VMS system will stay up, but I just think that VMS+Samba will not work for our little File-Storage group.

I also installed Apache(CSWS) and PHP yesterday, and besides some little things I don't understand (there is an error if i have a php-File in the htdocs-root, and not in the php/scripts folder), it works out.

What I didn't find(slightly going offtopic here) is MySQL. Is there a port to VMS?

Thanks for the info

Dennis
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

The link provided on the OpenVMS Opensource Tools page ( http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html ) to the VMS port of MySQL ( http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/kits/
seems to be dead.
A haven't as yet found another link to these kits.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
Jean-Fran├зois Pi├йronne
Trusted Contributor

Kris,

my system is currently down, because I'm moving it to another room...

I expect to put it online next week.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

JF
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi Denis,

> but can't create something new (Right-click new)

If you're referring to a new folder and the disk involved is an ods-2 volume, it's a known issue.

Samba for OpenVMS evaluation release supports both ODS-2 and ODS-5 volumes, but it only supports ODS-2 filenames on ODS-2 volumes. When you create a new folder using Windows Explorer, it names it "New Folder", which isn't a valid ODS-2 file name, so it fails.

You can use the DOS mkdir command to create new folders on ODS-2 volumes.

The file delete problem is a known issue that I had hoped would be fixed by the time they released the kit to customers. FWIW, just yesterday I tested an updated build (well, to be honest, it was an Alpha build; haven't yet tried the new i64 kit) and was able to delete files.

I believe they plan on making the new kit available late next week (not sure if they'll send registered users an email or not), but don't cite me on that ;o)...

HTH,

Paul
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

thanks a lot for this information.

If HP would really be interested in users trying to use SAMBA on OpenVMS I64, maybe a little more proactive sharing of information would help. As you can see from the reactions in this thread, people get easily frustrated, if the simple things don't work and there's no information (the release notes at least do not correctly describe the symptoms of the 'create folder' problem and don't mention the delete problem and who's reading release notes anyway ?) about the 'known' problems.

OpenVMS users do not necessarily adhere to the OpenSource mind set: you have the source code, why don't you fix the problem yourself ?

Some knowledgeable answers on SAMBA I64 E3.0 questions in this forum may encourage more people to try and use it...

Thanks,

Volker.